Thread: Laser procedure to cauterize veins in legs

Laser procedure to cauterize veins in legs

I have a surgical wound on my foot that has not been healing. My wound care doc sent me for a test to see if my veins were working properly. It turns out I have bad veins in my legs. The blood flows down my legs through arteries and is suppose to travel back up through the veins. But when the valves in your veins are faulty, blood pools up in the lower legs and feet which can slow the healing of sores. The vascular surgeon suggested a relatively safe in-office procedure that uses lasers to heat and cauterize the veins. Then the deep veins will take over the job of the superficial veins.

I asked the doc if he had ever performed this procedure on someone with SCI and he has not. He said he would ask his colleagues. I'm wondering if this procedure is more risky for someone with SCI. I am T12 paraplegic, 36 years post, 55 years old. Thank you in advance for any advice or past experience with this procedure.

My Dad's is a para.

When my Dad had severe surgical wounds in his lower leg with edema/poor venous return, what helped was high protein and sufficient calories, vitamins, and wrapping the leg/custom compression stockings to improve circulation.

The laser treatment seems..... Unusual to me. Does the surgeon and wound care doc agree with this treatment plan?

We generally do not recommend sclerosing therapy for bad veins in people with SCI. We have seen these procedure result in worsening of the venous ulcers. I would strongly suggest getting a second opinion from someone who has extensive experience in managing these problems in people with SCI. I have seen amputations required.

(KLD)

Nope.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    We generally do not recommend sclerosing therapy for bad veins in people with SCI. We have seen these procedure result in worsening of the venous ulcers. I would strongly suggest getting a second opinion from someone who has extensive experience in managing these problems in people with SCI. I have seen amputations required.

(KLD)
    Thanks for your response but it is not a scierosing therapy. It is using a laser heat to close up the superficial veins that are refluxing. There is only a tiny incision to insert the catheter that does not require stitches.

I will take your advice and get another opinion. Thank you

Laser is a type of vein sclerosing therapy. Chemicals were primarily used in the past.

(KLD)