Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: In dwelling Foley catheter

I'm using a Bard silver-tip silicone catheter, and am changing it out typically every 3 to 4 months. I drink about 2 L per day, take cranberry extract and d-mannose, and have not had a UTI in five years. YMMV.
    C4/C5 complete since 2011-08-13.

Thanks for the great info!! I had the Foley put in yesterday been drinking tons. The one issue I have is there was some blood coming from the tip of my penis when it was first put in which normally happens when I have had things inserted, but it's day two and I still have some blood coming out not much but still a little bit and it's on the Foley tube as well. What should I do? Is it normal?

Quote Originally Posted by Ty12 View Post
    Thanks for the great info!! I had the Foley put in yesterday been drinking tons. The one issue I have is there was some blood coming from the tip of my penis when it was first put in which normally happens when I have had things inserted, but it's day two and I still have some blood coming out not much but still a little bit and it's on the Foley tube as well. What should I do? Is it normal?
    So, as I understand it, you have an indwelling urethral catheter in your bladder now and soon, you will have a supra pubic catheter placed. Was the same French size Foley catheter used as what you have been using to intermittent cath? If it is bigger, that may be causing some bleeding, a bit of urethra trama. Otherwise, there may be some irritation where the balloon of the catheter rests on the bladder wall at the mouth of your bladder. That should go away soon. If not, you may want to ask your urologist to remove some of the water from the balloon. Some people have more comfort and less bleeding when the balloon is deflated by just 1 or 2cc.

Are you taking anticholinergics or anti spasmodics like oxybutynin? These drugs will help quiet bladder spasms and some sources say will help to maintain bladder size. You'll probably need to take them when you have the supra pubic placed.

I'm also a C-6 and have had a SP catheter for a long time. I used to get UTI's often and now haven't had one in about 3 years. This is what i strictly follow now.

1. Biggest change i think has been i no longer disconnect my leg bag/extension tube ever except when i put on a new one every two weeks or so. I don't put on a night bag or disconnect the bag/extension tube to clean them. When they start getting kinda grimy, i simply throw them out vs cleaning them daily or every few days.

My insurance only covers 2 bags a month, so i just buy extra ones so that i'm not breaking that closed system seal often which happens to much if disconnecting and cleaning regularly. The extra money per month buying extra bags vs cleaning them beats not getting UTI's.

2. I drink a decent amount of water daily.

3. I take Cranberry pills twice daily. It's not a proven fact that they help, but they may help and aren't expensive so i may as well do so.

It's been such a great change in my life not only being UTI free for about three years, my urine no longer stinks and there no longer is all that gunk floating around which can plug a catheter. It's also nice not having drying out leg bags or night bags hanging in the bathroom.

Hi gjnl, that's right I have a Foley catheter in right now until I can get surgery for a super pubic. Before this I was on condem catheters so never really did many in and outs. Anytime I have had anything insisted into my penis lately I have a bit of bleeding but never lasted, I just had a #14 Foley catheter inserted yesterday but still some blood coming up from the tip just wondering if it was normal? But thanks for your input if it lasts I will definitely call my urologist or community nurse.

My Foley has to be irrigated daily because there is so much sediment created in my bladder, despite the 3 to 4 L of water I drink per day.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    My Foley has to be irrigated daily because there is so much sediment created in my bladder, despite the 3 to 4 L of water I drink per day.
    I also have lots of sediment and wonder what is the cause. even when drinking lots of water. does anybody know what causes it.

Some urinary sediment is normal in urine. Lots isn't. Sediment is made up of bladder lining debris, crystals, casts, and infectious cells. In that most people with spinal cord injury have bladder colonization there will be more or less sediment than in bladders of able bodied. I drink about half of what many of you say that you drink, at most, I drink 1-1/2 to 2 liters of water per day, and I don't have much sediment at all...and I don't drink tons of other fluids like sports drinks or high sodium juices. This may just be one of those things that some people get and others, for whatever reason, don't.

Im changing my foley way too often! 3-4 weeks? This could change my life.

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerDude View Post
    Im changing my foley way too often! 3-4 weeks? This could change my life.
    l thought you were using either intermittent cath or reflex voiding?? Now you say you are using an indwelling catheter? Confused.

(KLD)