Thread: Weird Windows 10 bug

Weird Windows 10 bug

My windows 10 desktop just spent what felt like forever in the shop. Much to my disgust, as the resident geek that fixes every one else computer I could not fix mine. I was starting to think it was the power supply because of they way turning the power off from the switch at the back of the power supply and then turning it back on fixed the issue for a bit - a bit that got shorter and shorter over time. So the shop ran test after test after test. Turns out there is a rare windows 10 glitch that microshite is aware of that causes spontaneous reboots and other assorted problems. It is such a rare problem with windows 10 they have chosen not to do anything about it. So my choice was to pay the shop $99.95 to do a fresh install of windows 10 or do it myself for just the $24.95 diagnostics charge - with the time they put into it was actually a very fair charge. I have been installing and reinstalling operating systems for 16 years at least. So my tower came home and I backed up what I wanted and gave it a go. Then had to do it again because the first install didn't get the total problem. Fingers crossed the problem is fixed - it has been running for a week now without any weirdness. Now if i could only get my mitts on a new Nvidia GeoForce 750 ti video card I would be one happy camper.

If it hurts then stop doing it. Get a Mac, Chrome book, GNU/Linux, etc. and stop playing with your Micro-Soft. Winblows is not a viable system.

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    Now if i could only get my mitts on a new Nvidia GeoForce 750 ti video card I would be one happy camper.
    750 ti? Why no go for a new Pascal card? Go for At least a GTX 1060.
    Rollin' since '89. Complete C8

Quote Originally Posted by zagam View Post
    If it hurts then stop doing it. Get a Mac, Chrome book, GNU/Linux, etc. and stop playing with your Micro-Soft. Winblows is not a viable system.
    You sound like a person whose toolbox contains only a hammer. Computers and OSs are tools, you choose the best for the job. I do AI research so use mostly python on Ubuntu.If I want to game I use windows, it has the best drivers for the latest video cards and all the latest games support windows. Macs are a bunch of bloatware over unix, but they are great for education, I bought my 11 year old an Air. As for chrome books, I think 90% of the people with internet access just sit refreshing facebook all day, chromebooks would be great for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Crappler View Post
    750 ti? Why no go for a new Pascal card? Go for At least a GTX 1060.
    Did you see the AMD Vega stuff from CES? Crazy cool.

Vega / Ryzen has cool potential, but, until both are out with independent benches, they're still unknowns.
    I'm still running Sandy Bridge with 2x GTX 680s (all water cooled from my pre-injury days). Would love to go with a 1080 but need to get more business first.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I'm still running Sandy Bridge
    That's newer than my 4.8Ghz Prime stable Core2 hot rod that is retired on the shelf. I'm wondering, is there any use for water cooling with the latest die shrinks? Been out of the hot rod computer game for some time but have an overkill WC setup (2-triples and 1 single radiator in a Sliverstone TJ07) that could make a home for something interesting if there is purpose for that anymore.

I am a gamer and chromebooks don't play MMORPG's. The 750 ti is the best video card for the money in my price range. The issue with macs and any computer with an all in one design is they are made to not be upgrade-able. I had a mac and found that out the hard way when I got locked out of my chosen game because I could no longer handle the in game graphics. I was able to get the tower I wanted, with the help of a family member, and chose one that was less than the new mac I was offered but will upgrade for some time to come. Plus it has a cool clear panel in the side that displays my blue inner light scheme that matches my mouse and keyboard.

I can swing a hammer pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by t8burst View Post
    You sound like a person whose toolbox contains only a hammer.
    It's a good hammer and works from 64 way electric fire to my that Celeron that I use for everything else that does not require a sledgehammer. The laptop was a Chrome book with just enough Linux to run Chrome. Now has Debian and Google Chrome and runs fine.

My daughter is a GP and she thinks that Windows users need their heads read. I agree that use of Microsoft WIndows is totally irrational. She is off to France and I am not sure what systems the practice will have over there. Her current practice PeeCees got skipped after a practice meeting and they switched to Apple Mac.

Here if you self-harm you can be subject to the mental health act. Using Windows is like bashing your head against a wall. If it hurts then you should stop.

I fire up a tea bag Windows VM on the Celeron only when I absolutely have to and may make plans to avoid having to do so in the future that may involve a really big hammer, a metal baseball bat or, secateurs and jar of formalin.

To quote one of Murphy's laws: "Don't use force get a bigger hammer". I am an electrical engineer who likes to use a hammer, soldering iron, high-speed logic triggers and fast single shot scopes. I push them hard.

Unix and alike are really big hammers that I know how to use. They are not the only ones. I have used midrange machines with another OS with real terminals attached when I used to write financial applications. The perversion that is Microsoft never really ever made any sense and it still does not.

If it's wrong then just don't do it. If anyone requires you to do something wrong then use necessary force.

Use of PeeCees and SCADA has resulted in loss of life. If used for safety critical applications I would use SNMP and Unix. Otherwise, remove all electrical energy from all servo drives if you don't want to end up in a cage fight with a robot. Never trust SCADA "logic".

Use of PeeCees in the toolchain has resulted in mid-air aircraft failures. Can't blame VxWorks if it's built on a PeeCee. Can't blame CAD-CAM if it's hosted on a PeeCee.

Why was that stub pipe bored out in the wrong place in the RR Trent aero engine?

(The design was modelled in detail on a PeeCee and appeared to work, but what was made failed in real life.)

Why did Airbus cable assemblies not fit?

Why were some Airbus parts made inside out!?

(Data loss broke solid modelling.)

Why did IBM recall every IntelliStation POWER after Apple pulled the plug on the G5?

(So they could save them for Boeing and GE Aviation to run Catia V5 on Unix. I wanted one, but missed out.)

Data loss is known to occur with PeeCees and is unavoidable. You will get better results with a guessing stick (slide rule), dart board or a wild guess.

I game on my 2015 MacBook Pro 13...by streaming Steam from my 4.5 GHz IvyBridge/2xGTX 680 desktop. Yeah, the 680s are old but good enough for civ v and vi.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015