Thread: AD? or Seizure?

AD? or Seizure?

My mom leaves my place for 20 minutes. She comes back, and I'm passed out, chair fell backwards/

She calls 9/11. Blood pressure taken at the site was 80 points above normal.

then 60 points.

then 40 points...

down to normal.

Now. For a month, I've had problems catheterizing...my urethral sphincter pushes the catheter out when I get nervous or annoyed with politics. I push the catheter in hard...I get it to work . This happened 20 minutes prior. In fact it bled a week back

When she found me I was not convulsing. No biting my tongue. I'd diagnose it as a syncopy ... were it not for the fact that I didn't remember that I was paraplegic for 15 minutes.

I'm going to follow up with my GP. But what do you think? Is the post confusion indicative of a seizure?

Blog Entries
    I recommend reading this thread about different types of seizures. http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...162785-seizure I had seizures for years due to undiagnosed brain tumors, after diagnosis, had the largest one surgically removed, the other inoperable(on/in cerebellum), gamma radiated. FINALLY stopped having seizures about a year and a half ago. First one I had, I assumed to be a heatstroke as I was on a long handcycle ride in +100 heat(never suffered heatstroke in my life) didn't realize it was a seizure at the time. My seizures progressed from something simple to something I dreaded more than anything. Along with them I had a variety of neurologic effects including shaking hands and easily annoyed turning to extreme anger, memory problems and others. I mention THOSE because of your comments about cathing. You turned over, had memory problems...might want to get an MRI with and without contrast to check for possible tumors. Concussion can cause seizures/memory problems, been through that also. If you don't flip your chair regularly, I suggest MRI to be sure, took my doctors searching to find a problem 2 years until one said offhand, the only thing left is to MRI your brain. I neglected telling anyone about seizures because of license. I knew when they were coming on and had time to pull over. No lectures needed.

It could be a seizure but if you never had one before I would first look at AD and /or vaso -vagal response but that typicallyu is low blood pressure but of course tht could have been first and then your pressure will go up to overcompensate i.e. fainting and depending how long you were our or due to high blood pressure from AD. Have your tried Lidocaine with cathing to see if it will relax sphincters? You need to have a urologist scope you because sometimes it is scar tissue and they can do a DVIU.
    CWO

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

Don't use force, get a bigger hammer

If you use force then you are doing it wrong. Lube, steady gentle pressure and sometimes coughing help it go in. If tight try a cath with a different tip such as bent coude one or bendy IQ-Cath.

The rhabdosphincter can be fatigued by steady pressure. Prostate and bladder neck are the next obstacles.

If blocked then you may need to have a https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transu...f_the_prostate
    However, my urologist told me not to have a TURP as bladder neck may be providing continence.

I could relax to get them in. Then I found out that I could just void. Must have several goes to empty, but not using catheters.

Incomplete T12.

Murphy's law of force: Don't use force, get a bigger hammer.

There are all types of seizures. Not all are classic grand mal seizures like you might see on a movie. To make things more complex, some people can have a seizure that accompanies bad AD. Postictal (after seizure)memory loss does go along with many types of seizures, not usually with syncope, and can include confusion, drowsiness, and hypertension.

As far as your cathing, you should not be forcing the catheter. You can easily get a false passage or damage the prostate. Letting the muscle fatigue by keeping gentle but firm pressure and not moving the catheter for 1-2 minutes will usually result in the muscle relaxing and letting you into the bladder. Sphincter spasm is not going eject a catheter already in the bladder, but bad bladder spasm can. Have you had recent urodynamics and/or a cystoscopy?

(KLD)