Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SSDI question

Once you start collecting SSDI and then qualify for medicare after 2 years. Is there an enrollment period for medicare during the year or do you automatically get it when you become eligible anytime during the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnaz View Post
    Once you start collecting SSDI and then qualify for medicare after 2 years. Is there an enrollment period for medicare during the year or do you automatically get it when you become eligible anytime during the year.
    I was on SSDI for a year before going back to work and off SSDI, and was bombarded with Medicare stuff once that time period was cleared, and many years afterwards. So I would assume that the Medicare clock is automatically triggered once on SSDI

I did find that you automatically get Medicare on the 25 month after you start receiving your SSDI.
    Last edited by Donnaz; 01-30-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnaz View Post
    I did find that you automatically get Medicare on the 25 month after you start receiving your SSDI.
    Did you receive notification from Social Security that you were enrolled in Medicare part A&B?
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rook98006 View Post
    Did you receive notification from Social Security that you were enrolled in Medicare part A&B?
    Yeah. They bombard you with stuff. Hard to miss unless you're trying not to pay attention!
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You automatically get Part A and Part B after you get disability benefits from Social Security for 24 months, but keep in mind that Medicare only pays 80% of "reasonable costs". So for example, if you have a procedure where the charge is $1000, Medicare may say that their "reasonable cost" for this procedure is $540, and they would then pay $432, and you would be obligated to pay the remaining $108 out of pocket, unless you have a secondary insurance that pays the 20%.

It also does not include Part D (medications) so you would have to pay for those out of pocket unless you pay for a Part D plan, or get a supplemental Medicare insurance plan that includes Part D.

If you qualify for Medicaid, then for many this becomes their secondary insurance and included (usually with limits) medications.

You can find tons of information on this website: www.medicare.gov

(KLD)
    Original Medicare has no limit on your out of pocket expenses (your 20% of the payment). Therefore, you must have a supplemental plan or else you are rolling the dice.

Alternatively, you can chose a Medicare Advantage plan, part C. It offers better coverage than parts A, B, and D combined. The out of pocket expenses are limited so you don't need a supplement. As a result, you get better coverage (some plans include dental and vision) at a lower cost. Two other nice things about Medicare Advantage is that you never get a bill, and you can ask for a case manager. With original Medicare, you will have to sort through bills, which can get complicated. If you have questions, you call an 800 number and wait an hour to talk to someone you have never spoken to before.

Medicare Advantage is the clear choice for me. The only drawback is that I have to select service providers within my group. Original Medicare let's me select doctors anywhere in the country. Unless you need that option, you are overpaying for Original Medicare.
    Last edited by August West; 01-31-2017 at 08:08 PM.

Really like my retiree health plan at $212/month. But I think they will stop paying claims once I am eligible for Medicare even if I decline part B. Does that sound right?

Guess I need to pay both premiums and use part B even though the retiree plan would cover everything I need?
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Has anyone worked for a long time being in a wheelchair and then been turned down when applying for SSDI? I have a lot of problems with my shoulders and hands along with other issues. Lots of things catching up with me now. Was wondering if I would run into a lot of problems when applying and having my SSDI claim accepted.

Per the last SSDI "insider handbook" I saw, someone with paralysis is a shoo-in for SSDI. Why? Because. Have you noticed how hard it is for a paralyzed person to find and maintain gainful employment? Doesn't happen too often. The goal of SSDI is to help a disabled person "return" to employment and pay taxes when they recover. If you are successfully employed and then retire (even with a pension), you are STILL paralyzed, still eligible for SSDI.
    So....retire as soon as you want to. Your personal reason: 'my shoulders are giving out'. Social Security doesn't care about your shoulders! If you are still paralyzed, you qualify.

P.S. You may want to consider the current political situation in terms of potential changes to programs like SSDI.
    Suggest you look into continuing any health insurance you have even after your Medicare kicks in.

Just for general information for all SSDI recipients. If you are an SSDI recipient and receive vocational rehabilitation services then return to work, the state vocational rehab department is reimbursed by the Social Security Administration for all your voc rehab costs.