Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SSDI question

SSDI question

I was injured with an SCI and collected SSDI for 2 years after my injury. I went back to work for 20 years without collecting SSDI. I am now having difficulties with my shoulders and a number of other issues which is making it difficult for me to continue working and I would like to get back on SSDI. When I go to collect SSDI will I get the amount that is estimated on the Social Security web site for having a disability or will that amount be figured differently because I collected 22 years ago for my SCI and am now asking to go back on SSDI because of my SCI again?

I believe you get what the website is stating.

To my knowledge You should get the benifit of working the past 22 years and that would be the amount on the website if it tells you what you would draw now. I am not sure what you are looking at. I know you can see what you will draw at retirement age if you continue to earn at your current rate but I was not aware you could see an estimate of what you would draw before retirement age...
    Last edited by djrolling; 01-11-2017 at 04:44 PM.

Was looking at estimated payment if you become disabled now on the Social Security site.

Quote Originally Posted by Donnaz View Post
    Was looking at estimated payment if you become disabled now on the Social Security site.
    Did not know it had that. Then yes you should get that. Any affect that the time you spent drawing SSDI should be taken into account in that figure.

I think you get it based on what you made in your lifetime. So going back to work that long they will I guess would be your last 20 years. Bad thing is it not you have to wait 3 years for medicare? They keep changing it all the time. When I got hurt in 1975 you got medicare with your ssdi at 6 months. I have seen some go back to work getting paid far less then they did before they got hurt. After a few years they could no longer work and really took a hit.
    Art

I'm pretty sure the SSDI benefit (after working the required number of "quarters") is based on most recent pay level. A few times I have encouraged younger disabled persons to return to the workforce so that they can obtain SSDI at some point in the future, and not have it based on their previous minimum wage job.
    These benefits are a great help to disabled persons, who often find that they cannot make it to age 65+ due to encroaching disability issues.

Once you qualify for Medicare in 2 years is that good enough health insurance coverage or do you usually need to purchase a supplement plan?

You automatically get Part A and Part B after you get disability benefits from Social Security for 24 months, but keep in mind that Medicare only pays 80% of "reasonable costs". So for example, if you have a procedure where the charge is $1000, Medicare may say that their "reasonable cost" for this procedure is $540, and they would then pay $432, and you would be obligated to pay the remaining $108 out of pocket, unless you have a secondary insurance that pays the 20%.

It also does not include Part D (medications) so you would have to pay for those out of pocket unless you pay for a Part D plan, or get a supplemental Medicare insurance plan that includes Part D.

If you qualify for Medicaid, then for many this becomes their secondary insurance and included (usually with limits) medications.

You can find tons of information on this website: www.medicare.gov

(KLD)

When I retired I was allowed to continue with "retiree Blue Cross" coverage, but once Medicare kicked in, the Medicare had to be used. I kept the BC for retirees as a back up plan. Lo and behold, much later I needed a new brace but it was not "5 years since my last brace" and the vendor would not submit to Medicare. I paid a hefty amount for the brace and told the vendor I was appealing to Medicare as the old brace was falling apart before 5 years.
    Just days before I had all my paperwork ready to submit to Medicare (including a statement from the orthotics technician that the current brace was not repairable), I received a Blue Cross "statement of benefits" indicating that BC had sent the vendor the full amount of the brace!! I never knew BC was apparently billed by the vendor or that BC would even consider payment for this.
    I called the vendor and after waiting some time on the phone, the office person reported to me...."oh, we owe you $$....we'll send it out this week. Which they did.

Moral of story - keep any supplemental insurance if offered by your employer when you retire; it's only a nominal amount deducted from a pension you might receive. Always make sure any and all insurance is billed for your services. I never asked the vendor to bill Blue Cross, it never came up as an option. Now I'm wondering if this scenario happens a lot and a vendor ends up with double payment - from patient and supplemental insurance - because the patient might fail to monitor statements from insurance company.