Thread: Catheter suggestions

Catheter suggestions

I currently use the Speedicath compact kit. I've used it for two and a half years. It works great for me. The problem is I've switched insurance and they won't cover it at all. I've also just started Medicare and they are wanting to see my uti history to justify me using speedicath. I've had utis in the past but I'm worried they'll still deny it. Now I'm just wondering what will I use if I have to start using something new. I am a C7 injury level. My hand function isn't the greatest. Can anyone make a suggestion(s) on ease of use catheters for someone with impaired hand function? Thanks!

Hollister vapro works great for me, I'm c6 no hand function
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Which ones will your insurance cover? If they don't cover speedi -cath will they cover Hollister VaPro or Lofric or a Bard catheter?
    Do you need letter from provider? I would contact companies and try samples
    !
    CWO

I like the closed system hydrophillic catheters. I've been using the Rusch MMG H20 (#21096160) for a couple of years now and find them very easy to insert.
    I recently requested samples for the Hollister VaPro Plus Packet (#71164-30) and also the Bard Magic3 Touchless (#58916) from my DME (CompleteCare Medical)

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    From my experience with medicare you have to have had 2 documented UTI's in the last 12 months to qualify for the fancy cathing systems.

Hi everyone. Sorry for the late reply. I was able to continue getting the speedicath kit through Medicare. They were taking a long time looking into my medical history so I was concerned I'd need ideas for a new catheter. I really appreciate all the suggestions.

It's really frustrating when insurance won't cover the supplies you need. I'm sure if they were forced to use catheters every day they would see the value in catheters like Speedicath compact. I recently got some samples of Cure Twist catheters and I like them better than the speedicath. They are similar but not as short, more the length of a tube of mascara and they have a funnel on the end. They are pre-lubed and come in a tube, when your done you can put the catheter back into the lid and cap it and it doesn't leak which makes for easy and discreet disposal. You can even put in your pocket and toss it later.

I've been rationing/reusing my catheters because my insurance won't cover any of them. I hope you find something that works well for you.