Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taming high gas bills

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    My place is at 76F, and the gas bills get interesting for sure, especially when under 10F for like a month as in previous years and the boiler is going on like every 20 minutes, lol. But as it is a multiunit place on one steam system, I look at it just as an overhead cost (I get the rent money), and the bulk of that is tax deductible.
    You whimp. I keep my place at 67. You have to be tough to live in SD. It was so cold here last week that the electricity froze in the wires coming into my house. I sent my wife outside with a long stick and she beat on the wires until the electricity shattered into little pieces and it started flowing again.

That same morning I got in the car to go to work. I started it up but when I tried to back it out of the garage, it wouldn't move. I finally figured out that when I started it, the headlights came on and it was so cold that the headlight beams froze solid and so my car was sort of glued to the wall of the garage by the head light beams. I called my wife and told her to get a hammer and pound on the beams until they shattered. Then I was able to back out and go to work.

Quote Originally Posted by bill j. View Post
    you whimp. I keep my place at 67. You have to be tough to live in sd. It was so cold here last week that the electricity froze in the wires coming into my house. I sent my wife outside with a long stick and she beat on the wires until the electricity shattered into little pieces and it started flowing again.

That same morning i got in the car to go to work. I started it up but when i tried to back it out of the garage, it wouldn't move. I finally figured out that when i started it, the headlights came on and it was so cold that the headlight beams froze solid and so my car was sort of glued to the wall of the garage by the head light beams. I called my wife and told her to get a hammer and pound on the beams until they shattered. Then i was able to back out and go to work.
    lol
    Last edited by 47+years; 01-15-2017 at 09:21 PM.
    C5/C6

We do things to manage the gas heater not having to be on all the time or as hot to make it more manageable for my Wife who likes it cooler.

We have a electric blanket on the bottom of our bed on my side to keep me warmer at night and use a light sheet on top my easy to move and roll vs the blanket on top.

This way we dont use our heater at night and can turn it on if it gets cold from our bed with iPhones but hardly ever have to.

Also use a small electric throw in our media room where our TV is so dont have to keep the house heater on.

Started using Nest which controls our heater and I can control it from my smart phone so I can turn it on from time to time to take the chill off the rooms vs having it on all day.

Plus we can pre heat the house just before getting home.

Let the sun in to warm your rooms during the day by pulling drapes and blinds and pull the blinds at night to keep the cold out.

It all can help.

Quote Originally Posted by bill j. View Post
    You whimp. I keep my place at 67. You have to be tough to live in SD. It was so cold here last week that the electricity froze in the wires coming into my house. I sent my wife outside with a long stick and she beat on the wires until the electricity shattered into little pieces and it started flowing again.

That same morning I got in the car to go to work. I started it up but when I tried to back it out of the garage, it wouldn't move. I finally figured out that when I started it, the headlights came on and it was so cold that the headlight beams froze solid and so my car was sort of glued to the wall of the garage by the head light beams. I called my wife and told her to get a hammer and pound on the beams until they shattered. Then I was able to back out and go to work.
    LOL. Yeah, but I bet in your youth you didn't have year round snow and uphill journeys both ways combined with snipers in the hills taking pot shots at you on the way to your 16 mile trek to school. Now that really builds character, not like you sissy SD folks with little electrical issues. And what is with you having your wife do all that for you? Lazy MF'er!

Maybe someday you will have enough backbone to not worry about keeping the temperature low in the house and having your wife slave away to alleviate annoyances from the temperature kept so low, and kick back and live like a King with the heat on "kill" mode while a bunch of peons pay the bill for you