Thread: A very courageous quadriplegic passed away today.

A very courageous quadriplegic passed away today.

Steven McDonald, an NYPD officer that was shot by a 15yr old bicycle thieving perp in Central Park in 1986 succumbed to the the effects of a stroke today.
    It was said at the time that the bullet severed his spinal cord, rendering him to life on a ventilator.
    I met him once while he was visiting a fellow officer when I was doing a follow-up stint at Kessler, NJ. By then he was already SCI 18+ years.
    He always traveled with an entourage worthy of royalty. Then again, he was NYC royalty; endeared by the City, often receiving press for his unwavering commitment to his family, his police department, and his faith.
    Interestingly enough he was known to have said he would not endorse a cure for SCI if the research involved the destruction of human embryo and did not partake in using his notoriety to advocate such, as did Chris Reeve.
    His infant son (at the time) grew up to join the force as well. If I?m not mistaken, Steve?s grandfather was also shot while in the line of duty with the NYFD.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Wow. Sounds like quite a man. Condolences. His watch is over and hopefully he can rest now.
    Make America Sane Again. lol

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I met him after one of his speeches in 2012 in Greenwich, Connecticut.

Being a hero came naturally to Steven. It was his destiny whether paralyzed and on a ventilator or not, it was in his DNA. If not for the SCI he might very well have aspired to lead the department consisting of 32,000 officers.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
    I met him after one of his speeches in 2012 in Greenwich, Connecticut.
    Yes he sure was the kind of man you remember having met.

Here's the link to his New York Times obituary:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/10/n...e=sectionfront

I met him once when he was a speaker at a conference, and I believe at one time he was a member of our CC Community...RIP.

(KLD)

I never met Steven McDonald but it looks like he made a difference in the lives of those he met through his outreach. He will be missed. RIP Officer McDonald.

I understand he was likely very courageous as a cop going into the "field" as most are not easy line of work and not for the lighthearted. But after quadriplegia what made him courageous? Was he one of those motivational speaker etc. You stated he didn't use his influence to do anything for the cause despite having one of the worst injuries possible and seeing what SCI can do to someone's life, and he felt no obligation to do anything even if just to keep others from the same fate in fact he was against The potential research if it "defiled" a donated and literally going to go to garbage fetus. That was the kind of idiotic mentality bush had which slowed everything down! You know my condolences on dying and everything, but I'm just trying to understand your statement...
    Last edited by JamesMcM; 01-14-2017 at 04:07 AM.