Thread: Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation and Optimizing Functional Recovery

Thumbs up Neuromuscular Electrical Stimulation and Optimizing Functional Recovery

Ms. Carrie Shogren's Working 2 Walk 2016 video presentation focuses on the clinical application of epidural stimulation, and how it drives neural recovery when combined with activity based therapies.

LINK

Great Presentation

Quote Originally Posted by GRAMMY View Post
    Ms. Carrie Shogren's Working 2 Walk 2016 video presentation focuses on the clinical application of epidural stimulation, and how it drives neural recovery when combined with activity based therapies.

LINK
    Grammy-

thank you for posting this. It was a great presentation and very encouraging.

You have any idea when this may be approved through the FDA and what the holdup might be?

How do you apply stimulation? Just regular pad placement on all muscle groups?

Quote Originally Posted by JAMESRRR View Post
    Grammy-

thank you for posting this. It was a great presentation and very encouraging.

You have any idea when this may be approved through the FDA and what the holdup might be?
    The XCITE system from RTI just got FDA clearance. It's a stand-alone stimulator that can be used for a wide variety of different activities, provided a therapist is there to operate it (pretty complicated). You can see it here. I imagine clinics will start buying them soon if they haven't already.

Quote Originally Posted by wesmaister View Post
    How do you apply stimulation? Just regular pad placement on all muscle groups?
    Yeah, it's regular pad placement and, for the most part, regular stimulation. The unique things about what's described in the video are the stimulation parameters (really high pulse width) and the fact that they applied the stimulation while someone was trying to accomplish a particular task. Not really anything new, but we're beginning to learn more about how stimulation can help to excite or potentiate the nerves. Essentially, your nervous system has to do less work if there's some ambient stimulation. Think of it like, if I told you exercise until you started to sweat (assuming you could sweat). It'd take more work if the room you're in were cold instead of hot. Adding stimulation is like turning up the temperature, making it easier to start sweating.

According to https://www.restorative-therapies.com/xcite_tech_specs the Xcite doesn't seem to be capable of the pulse widths that Carrie Shogren talks about in the above video. It is possible that the information on the web site is old, as they just recieved their clearance to market in the USA this morning. Or, it is possible that the device that has been available to researchers so far is capable of more than what is now on the market.

Hi -- I am new here and am a caretaker! Thanks so much for sharing this -- this is definitely encouraging! I know it is super early but as it develops, it would be good to know if there is any information on the roll out plan to the medical community or if clearance means that doctors can start using this practice across the board? Excited to learn more.

- Tina

I wish RTI's stuff wasn't so crazy expensive. Medicare Advantage plans often cover FES, but virtually all private health insurers continue to label FES in any flavor "experimental."
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

I have Humana and they eventually paid for my FES from Restorative Therapies. Restorative Therapies has dedicated staff that know the insurance ropes and they were a tremendous help in getting Humana to pay.
    T5/6, ASIA A, injured 30 Nov 08
    Future SCI Alumnus.
    I don't want to dance in the rain, I want to soar above the storm.

I was just asking m=a neorosurgeonabout tis kind of stiff the other day and was told it was not here yet...