Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ride Designs Seats & Backrests

Ride Designs Seats & Backrests

I have been experiencing problems with seating for quite a while now. Somehow I managed to meet a physical therapist who specializes in seating and suggested the company Ride Designs. Had a backrest and seat installed last week. The backrest is specially made for my body. Took about a month to get it. So far so good. The backrest kind of cradles around my whole back. Kind of like a shell. A lot more support. And the seat is a radical concept, as they say. It is like you are floating. All of the pressure goes on your hips, everything else is pretty much without pressure. We will see how that goes. Anyone else used their products? I will try to keep everyone up-to-date on how they work for me.
    Thanks, Clint

http://www.ridedesigns.com/
    "Some days you eat the bear, some days the bear eats you?"

A quick search here of the term "Ride cushion" will get you a lot of previous discussions about these cushions, both their off-the-shelf and custom cushions.

(KLD)

There are mixed reviews if you look through previous threads but I personally will not use anything else. The Ride Forward cushion didn't work at all for me, but the custom cushion has been a lifesaver. I've put in 18 hour days (I wiggle a lot and do depressions to get off my cushion) and been fine. I have one on my everyday chair and an older one on my garage chair. I use a Jay 3 back though. The only downside is they are expensive.

I got both the back and the cushion. I don't use the back and went back to an ADI CF back, the Ride back was so heavy it would tip my wheelchair over when I wasn't sitting in it. Love the cushion though.

I'm interested in the Ride Corbac backrest which replaces the hook and loop standard back that comes with the chair. It secures with hook and loop straps but appears to have more padding and optional wedges for side support. Has anyone tried this back?

I use the Ride Design Custom Cushion and swear by them. They are high however and somewhat difficult to transfer out of but they are real butt savers.

Skoal, I am so interested and that ride seating cushion. It does look like the craziest design for a seat. I have seen the videos and the guy looks like he's carving up a piece of Styrofoam with a electric kitchen knife. I believe the theory is if offloads pressure on to your thighs and trochanters. But my question is why wouldn't I develop pressure sores there after a while? Please do keep us abreast of your experience with the ride cushion. I might send you an instant message after a while if that's cool.

I have both the custom cushion and back. Not completely sold on the backrest but after months of use I can say the cushion is a life saver. I have the Corbac on my manual chair which I no longer use but it was the only one that would keep me from sweating.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    Skoal, I am so interested and that ride seating cushion. It does look like the craziest design for a seat. I have seen the videos and the guy looks like he's carving up a piece of Styrofoam with a electric kitchen knife. I believe the theory is if offloads pressure on to your thighs and trochanters. But my question is why wouldn't I develop pressure sores there after a while? Please do keep us abreast of your experience with the ride cushion. I might send you an instant message after a while if that's cool.
    Thanks for all the responses. I will definitely keep you updated on how it goes. No problem, send a PM.

I have had the backrest less than a month and my side/rib cage is completely healed. Have had no ill effects from the seat cushion either. I will update it a couple more weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by skoalongcut View Post
    I have had the backrest less than a month and my side/rib cage is completely healed. Have had no ill effects from the seat cushion either. I will update it a couple more weeks.
    can u post pic of backrest. my back/ribs on the ride always are a touch uncomfortable
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer