Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flying to San Diego

Flying to San Diego

I'll be flying to San Diego to spend a few days in La Jolla. I love to fly, but hate flying with my powerchair for fear the'll rip out a wire or break something and I'll be screwed when I land. But we have a non-stop so that'll make me a wee bit more comfortable. I'll be flying with my service dog for the first time so that should be fun too.

She live's a couple blocks off of La Jolla Cove and we'll be using public transportation for most of our ground travel. So what is a "don't miss" in the area? What should I absolutely see while there?
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

When are you going?

Pretty much all buses are accessible, and so is the San Diego Trolley (light rail), but the latter does not go very many places yet.

I would recommend the following for the immediate area around La Jolla:

• Shopping in La Jolla Village (high end trendy shops, art galleries, etc.)
    • Birch Aquarium, part of the Scripps Institute of Oceanography and UCSD (great exhibits, great views)
    • La Jolla Shores for a stroll on the boardwalk and watch the surfers
    • Watch the seals at the Children's Pool (but stay away and don't harass them!)
    • There is a nice public art walk around the UCSD campus in La Jolla...it has a lot of very unique and beautiful sculptures and you can see the interesting campus architecture at the same time.

Further afield in San Diego:

• San Diego Zoo. An attendant can get in free if you need one if you buy a full ticket. They have special w/c van transportation vans to shuttle you around to the various exhibits if you want, and the main bus tour is accessible (the Skyfari is not, sadly).
    • Balboa Park has lovely gardens, many different museums (Museum of Man, Natural History, Science (with an IMAX theater), Aerospace, antique auto, model trains, several art museums, Museum of San Diego History, etc.) and the Old Globe Theater (good plays, pretty good accessibility), and is right next to the Zoo. A few good places to eat.
    • Mission Beach board walk and Crystal Pier are good for a stroll and having lunch along the way.
    • Cabrillo National Monument (take your free pass if you have a national parks pass) has great views, is right next to the beautiful Ft. Rosecrans National Veterans' Cemetary, and have exhibits about whales as well as San Diego's early history.
    • Consider taking a whale watching trip from San Diego bay. There are some of the larger boats which are wheelchair accessible. Avoid if you get sea sick easily!
    • Gaslamp Quarter and Little Italy downtown are both great places to visit clubs and good restaurants.
    • San Diego Mission. The original California mission, founded in 1769, and still a functioning Catholic church. Museum and gardens.
    • Old Town San Diego (state park) which is where San Diego started. Shops, museums, restaurants, old buildings.
    • The Embarcadero is the waterfront of San Diego bay. Maritime museum (most of the boats are not accessible though) and the USS Midway Museum (which is accessible). Next door is the Bob Hope Memorial, and right past that going south is Seaport Village (more shopping and restaurants).
    • If you come during baseball season, Petco Park (San Diego Padres) is beautiful and has great wheelchair seating.
    • Personally, I don't like or recommend SeaWorld (Mission Bay), but the accessibility is pretty good.

SuperShuttle is your best bet for airport transportation. Make a reservation ahead of time so that you can be sure you will have one of their accessible lift equipped vans.

(KLD)

Awesome, thanks! I had some of the La Jolla ideas already on my list. I do need to iron out transportation from the airport so I'll check into that.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Coronado island, they have a power big wheel beach chair, great spot to cruise around. museum at balboa park.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks John.

KLD, I'll be flying in Feb 9th and leaving on the 15th. And thanks for the shuttle info, booked!

OK, whale watching then, no baseball.

I didn't include Coronado as it is not very easy to get there on public transportation from La Jolla, but it is my favorite beach. There are beach wheelchairs available at a number of locations in San Diego, including Mission Beach Ocean Beach, and La Jolla Shores as well: https://www.sandiego.org/articles/ac...o-beaches.aspx

(KLD)

DeadEye I sent you a video on flying with your power chair dont worry it will be fine. Just give yourself some extra time checking in and when you get to the gate let the ground crew know about your chair and how to freewheel, fold seat back down if they can just anything specific that can help them load and unload it.

If something was to get broken report it before you leave San Diego airport and they will work with you to fix it no charge.

Best part of San Diego and La Jolla is just the beauty from the water and beach areas to the art museums, restaurants and the weather!

There is a very cool train ride from La Jolla to San Diego Amtrak downtown and very accessible and rolls along the beach area too. Its $5.00 one way.

Downtown San Diego is nice to just walk around and so is Little Italy in downtown San Diego.

Getting around LaJolla the bus is pretty good.

If you use Dial a ride in your city you can use it as a tourist in San Diego just email your paper work to them and you can use it for $3.50-4.50 each way door to door.

http://www.gonctd.com/lift#fares

http://www.littleitalysd.com/

Use YouTube to help you also and dont over schedule or do just tourist things but relax and expore.

Quote Originally Posted by RollPositive View Post
    DeadEye I sent you a video on flying with your power chair dont worry it will be fine. Just give yourself some extra time checking in and when you get to the gate let the ground crew know about your chair and how to freewheel, fold seat back down if they can just anything specific that can help them load and unload it.

If something was to get broken report it before you leave San Diego airport and they will work with you to fix it no charge.

Best part of San Diego and La Jolla is just the beauty from the water and beach areas to the art museums, restaurants and the weather!

There is a very cool train ride from La Jolla to San Diego Amtrak downtown and very accessible and rolls along the beach area too. Its $5.00 one way.

Downtown San Diego is nice to just walk around and so is Little Italy in downtown San Diego.

Getting around LaJolla the bus is pretty good.

If you use Dial a ride in your city you can use it as a tourist in San Diego just email your paper work to them and you can use it for $3.50-4.50 each way door to door.

http://www.gonctd.com/lift#fares

http://www.littleitalysd.com/

Use YouTube to help you also and dont over schedule or do just tourist things but relax and expore.
    Great info, Roll! I'll check out the flight video too. Thanks!!

What??? This definitely does NOT exist. You can take Amtrak from LA or north San Diego county and end up in downtown San Diego, but the tracks to NOT go from La Jolla, nor do they go along the beach except in north county (Del Mar north) and Orange County; not between La Jolla and downtown. There is no train or Trolley (light rail) service to La Jolla at all. There is the Coaster (which is a commuter train which runs on the Amtrak tracks from Oceanside) but it goes no where near La Jolla...the closest is station is Sorrento Valley.

(KLD)

DeadEye Glad to help, and the video we did to help others. Southwest will take good care of you and you have my phone number text or call if you need more help.

The Coaster/ Amtrak is a fun ride kind of old school retro and to go though the marsh area/bay between La Jolla and San Diego is nice.

You would get on at Serranto Valley stop. The four stops north are real nice to shop and eat also.

If you want its a nice calm way to get to the airport if you have time because the 992 bus picks up at the Amtrak station and one or two stops takes you right in front of SW terminal area plus there is a small area to walk your dog just by the area.

Check in at SW ticket area outside its so much faster and there is a special wheelchair line to the left.

We had our dog with us both on the train and dial a ride and he so loved it.

Text, message or email me more then happy to help!

http://www.gonctd.com/coaster

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San+...32.7167185!3e3

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Sant...0933!3e3?hl=en
    Last edited by RollPositive; 01-10-2017 at 11:51 PM.