Thread: tiny amount of stuff left in cath after intermittent cathing.

tiny amount of stuff left in cath after intermittent cathing.

I know this has been answered before, so my apologies, however, doing a search I cannot find anything.

For those of us who intermittent cath, is is normal to have a small to tiny amount of cloudy stuff at the tip of the cath when you remove it. I'm talking very small amount. If my memory serves me correct, I remember reading or maybe hearing it from my nurse years ago, that this is normal and not a sign of infection.

Any input or opinions would be appreciated.

Peace and God bless....

Yes, common for me. The last few ml are often full of sediment.

Yes, very common.
    C5/C6

Thank you both so very much for replying. Mine looks like gunk or semen, however, since I lost my S2 and S3 I didn't think it was semen.

Yep same thing here looks exactly like you described. Been cathing 25 years.

Very normal. It is a little bit of mucus that the catheter drains with the urine.

ckf

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by nmireles View Post
    Yep same thing here looks exactly like you described. Been cathing 25 years.
    Thank you for replying. I'm appreciative to have this community that we can turn to when in need.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Very normal. It is a little bit of mucus that the catheter drains with the urine.

ckf
    Thank you. And thank you for dedicating your time to helping those of us who need all of this valuable information. Peace and God Bless.

It could be semen or prostatic fluid or sediment but it is not a sign of infection. The prostate is like a donut around the urethra and fluid comes out which is cloudy. And if you have no other symptoms of UTI such as fatigue, leakage of urine, blood etc.. then don't worry about it.
    CWO

Very helpful, thank you.