Thread: Seeking Opinions on a New Chair!

Seeking Opinions on a New Chair!

I am in dire need for a new chair, but I'm having a hard time deciding what to go with. It's been 14 years since I've gotten a new chair, and I've only been SCI for 20 years! I'm honestly surprised my chair has lasted this long. I was going to get a new chair last year and still, after a year, I haven't made any progress.

I can't decide on a new power chair or a manual chair w/ the Spinergy ZX-1 add on. I'm a C5 Quad, if that helps.

Power Chair
    Pros

• Tilt/Recline
    • Adjustable Height
    • Other Adjustments

Cons

• UGLY
    • Heavy
    • Doesn't fit under most tables

Manual Chair w/ Add On
    Pros

• Stylish/less bulky looking
    • Can use w/o add on for exercise
    • Can be used in less accessible places
    • Add on is easy to put on/off
    • Lightweight
    • Fits under most tables

Cons

• No tilt/recline
    • No option to sit higher

I'm so conflicted, and I honestly don't know what to choose. Any suggestions that would help me decide would be awesome.

Note:
    My Disability Support Program will cover any type of chair I want, so price isn't really a limitation (unless it's extremely expensive).
    Don't call me Barbie, my name is Jen!

Any chance you can get both? Advantage of the power wheelchair is the power height adjustment - very important for gravity transfers. If you don't do any part of transfers yourself, the zx1 may work. I have managed to get both items over the past several years. I primarily use zx1. I have powered hospital bed so can adjust it to do transfers. I get out of zx1 indoors and use it every time I go outdoors.
    My power wheelchair is used. I have another old power wheelchair that I got for $250 that's in storage and it has worked like a charm when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by gjnl View Post
    I've read that entire thread and it didn't really help me all that much--thanks for suggesting it to me though!

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Any chance you can get both? Advantage of the power wheelchair is the power height adjustment - very important for gravity transfers. If you don't do any part of transfers yourself, the zx1 may work. I have managed to get both items over the past several years. I primarily use zx1. I have powered hospital bed so can adjust it to do transfers. I get out of zx1 indoors and use it every time I go outdoors.
    My power wheelchair is used. I have another old power wheelchair that I got for $250 that's in storage and it has worked like a charm when needed.
    I wish I could get both, that would be amazing. I don't do transfers by myself, so I have no issues with that.

Hi Jen
    is The BATEC available over there?
    best invention ever!!!

At the C-5 level I don't know how you are doing pressure relief, but people at that level typically can't do effective pressure relief. Therefore, it may be in your best long-term interests to get a power chair with tilt/recline/elevating leg rests so you can do pressure relief.

If you can, perhaps have your insurer pay for the power chair and have a power assisted manual chair for other occasions.

Blog Entries
    I am using an Icon, and love it. You can dial in all of the measurements/adjustments pretty easily, and you can raise it up, but it is not something you can do easily. I added a SmartDrive for times when a power chair would be handy. I don't bother taking it off unless I have to take the wheels off to get the chair into a car (I have a ramp van), and it does not have enough drag when turned off to notice that it's there, and If I notice it, I turn it on. Really helps for carpet and grass, hills, and when I just get too tired to push.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

Hey Donno

Do You drive from chair or transfer. Full size or Mini Van? I have 2gx Tilite folder with smart drive but can't get it on from inside my suv. I use a Braun chair topper that can load folding chair but not smart drive. I am starting to think about vans or something else but need 4 wheel here in cold climate and don't want full size so starting to look for options.

Sorry off track to WCBarbie's ? I too would get a paid power chair for your main chair and then use other funding to buy manual which can be found pretty reasonable Tilt and elevate would be great options to get paid for on the power. Also i have seen some power chairs that don't sit too high for tables etc. but they probably don't have the options you want Always a trade off somewhere.