Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DVD R DL's on old devices

DVD R DL's on old devices

Hi,

I'm trying to get a collection of old VHS home movies onto DVD - I'm using a little device called Vidbox that works nicely in getting the
    VHS video to my hard drive in MP3 format. I can then burn DVD's on PC.
    Standard DVD R discs don't hold the entire content from some tapes.
    It looks like I could solve that problem by getting a device that would burn DVD r dl discs (dual layer) which have higher capacity.
    Has anyone had experience with this?
    I want to be sure that these dual layer discs can be read by older DVD players.

Thanks

How long are these movies?

Over 2 hours - I haven't measured them exactly but the software linked to the Vidbox device has a time limit slider and when I set it for 2 hours, the VHS movie always exceeds that.

Blog Entries
    I transferred a LOT of my sister's old vhs tapes to single layer dvd's back in about 2010. She had bought a piece of hardware designed specifically for this, about the size of a vhs palyer lol. You stated mp3 format, that is sound ONLY, mp4 is a very efficient format used today to store hi def movies on dvd. I think you whould read up on the difference between the two. Most dvd players made in the last 6-8 years can handle DL dvds. I have a Blue Ray that is from 2009 that can read/burn DL, you might look into upgrading. I think most DVD reader ONLY(old) would not be able to read DL dvds.

Did you mean mp4 format?

Blog Entries
    Also, there are various software that you can use to alter the movies once you get them on HD. Not very familiar with the programs that work on windows operating systems. You can go to Linux and everything is free, easily researchable online. Ubuntu Studio is a freely downloadable distibution that you can run LIVE from a dvd or usb without touching your hard drive/present operating system. Download the iso burn it to dvd or install on a usb, it has all the software you need to work with sound production, movie production and photo/video production. http://ubuntustudio.org/ I have a laptop harddrive I use as an usb external drive with over 12 linux distributions, either of which you choose to use when you boot you computer. All Free, already with top notch software you can use. LINUX, leave the limited, forever crashing computer whirled behind.
    YUMI... software that runs in windows you use to MAKE such a MULTIBOOT device with https://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/

Blog Entries
    you have to go into BIOS/SETUP to change computer settings to boot from USB DVD before your HD on most you can utilize F2 F6 F10 F12 etc to choose a boot menu depending on the manufacturer of the motherboard/computer

I used AUDACITY which has a version for Windows to edit DVDs and MP4s MP4 can be separated into audio(MP3) and video(multiple formats) and a plethora of other things http://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 01-03-2017 at 09:03 PM. Reason: I had put my Pirate Treasure Map in here by mistake...ARRRRRGGGH!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by garvey View Post
    Over 2 hours - I haven't measured them exactly but the software linked to the Vidbox device has a time limit slider and when I set it for 2 hours, the VHS movie always exceeds that.
    It is PROBABLY choosing a lesser bitrate for the audio or different format for the video(essentially lesser quality) put a link to the vid device you are using and I will check it out so I can better answer your question. Are you wanting to play these on a DVD playe for a tv or a dvd player on a computer, computer dvds are able to play a wider range of formats unless you have a high dollar one for tvs

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    It is PROBABLY choosing a lesser bitrate for the audio or different format for the video(essentially lesser quality) put a link to the vid device you are using and I will check it out so I can better answer your question. Are you wanting to play these on a DVD playe for a tv or a dvd player on a computer, computer dvds are able to play a wider range of formats unless you have a high dollar one for tvs
    Thanks for your response.
    Here is a link to the Vidbox site - http://honestech.com/main/vhs-to-dvd-50-deluxe.asp
    The process I used was this -

Using the Vidbox that is linked to VHS tape player and Win 8.1 PC I recorded the tape to the PC and saved it to HD in MP4 format ( I think)
    I verified that the saved format played in Windows Media Player on the PC.
    I then used the honetech software to burn that file to standard DVR R disc.
    I had tested this process before with a much shorter tape and it worked fine - I was able to play that DVD on various players, including an old TV/DVD combo
    Yesterday, I tried this same process with a much longer tape and that's when I encountered an error which informed me that I needed a disc with greater capacity.
    I assumed the only alternative was to go with a DL DVD disc with 8+ GB capacity
    This would entail getting a burner that could handle double layer writing.
    My next concern is whether these DL discs would play on those same devices - like the old TV/DVD combo unit.

If I don't go with the DL discs then I'm looking at a lot of editing to fit these VHS tapes on the smaller DVD's.

Thanks

I copy movies to my computer to watch whenever I want. When I want to make a copy using dvd shrink, it automatically sets the compression rate for it to fit. You can convert your mp4 file to a ts file and use dvd shrink to compress it and burn it to dvd.

http://www.program4pc.com/support/vi...mp4-to-ts.html