Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antibiotics before a cystoscopy or VUDS proceedure

Antibiotics before a cystoscopy or VUDS proceedure

Has anyone else had a urologist request you take two days of antibiotics before a cystoscopy and VUDS(video urodynamics study)?

Mine had and I just thought you were only supposed to take them in full length dosages to fight something specific. I asked but cant remember what she said except something like just to make sure I was clear of anything before the test.

Thanks. Mike

My urologist has prescribed 2-500mg (12 hours apart) Cipro AFTER a procedure like Botox, urodynamics and cystoscopy. I've never been asked to take it before.

Looks like you are a new on the Care Cure Community forum. Welcome.

All the best,
    GJ
    Last edited by gjnl; 12-31-2016 at 11:12 PM.

Thanks GJ, for the response and the welcome!

Yes, we generally recommend a short course of antibiotics for 2-3 days prior to any invasive bladder procedures such as cystoscopy, urodynamics, bladder surgical procedures, etc.

(KLD)

I was told to take Levaquin before the urodynamics. When I called to say I was allergic to Levaquin, I was told that if I self cathed all the time there was no need to take an antibiotic. This is just for information. I am fearful about advising anyone!!
    C5/C6

Thank you SCI nurse and 47+ years. Mike ps- happy new year almost!

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Yes, we generally recommend a short course of antibiotics for 2-3 days prior to any invasive bladder procedures such as cystoscopy, urodynamics, bladder surgical procedures, etc.

(KLD)
    Interesting, the different takes medical professionals have on this.

Urodynamics yes - 2 days before, day of and 2 days after) but I attributed it to how very very colonized with bad things I am. Cystoscopy once yes and once no, same practice and same doc. It's confusing.

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    I used to be given 3 doses of trimethaprim for urodynamics. Now they say to watch for symptoms of UTI and call GP if you have them. Trauma and reflux are possible from this procedure.

Practices change as we gather more evidence. It also depends on your history, issues that you have and the physician preference.

ckf