Thread: Reusing catheters to save money

Reusing catheters to save money

I use Coloplast intermittent catheterisation since my accident. I buy them online from some guy but they still cost a lot.
    My country doesnt offer insurance for them so I have to use them 3-4 times each before throwing away.

Now I know they say we only have to use them one and throw but I use a really careful technique and only touch the tip of the penis with the catheter than put it again in its place.

Has anyone else had this reusing experience ?

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    I reused mine for almost 3 years when I didn't have any insurance. I washed them with a clear antibacterial handsoap in really hot tap water and rinsed them really good, then just layed them on paper towels and folded the paper towel over them to dry. Never had a problem. Just replaced them when they seemed to be getting softer or flimsy.
    DO NOT boil them or use boiling water to try and sterilize them, that will melt them and cause you more problems.
    DO NOT put them in a sealed container when wet, or bacteria will grow.

It used to be standard practice to reuse intermittent catheters in the USA as well, but practice changed about 7 years ago.

When we did this, we used this evidence base (based on research) method for cleaning catheters:

(KLD)
    Attached Images Attached Images

How frequently do you get urinary tract infections?

"Catheter Cleaning and Re-use"

Very well written, informative and well needed for those who must reuse intermittent catheters.

Blog Entries
    I was injured in the days when you boiled them and reused them...LOW heat just long enough to kill all the critters. Spent more time 'cooking' my catheters than I did cooking food, I laugh now but it wasn't funny then Then I would have hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle and spray them down just before use, just to be sure. KLD posted the how-to above.

I re-use my Coloplast Speedicaths. When I finish peeing, I rinse my cath in warm water and slide it back in its package. I know it's not great, but even though my insurance pays for 4x a day, those foil packs make a lot of garbage! I'm colonized with bacteria. It is what it is. I have stinky and/or cloudy pee when I cath sometimes. As long as I don't have incontinence or a fever, I'll continue this way.

Can this cause bladder cancer or other bad things?

Quote Originally Posted by christopher View Post
    I re-use my Coloplast Speedicaths. When I finish peeing, I rinse my cath in warm water and slide it back in its package. I know it's not great, but even though my insurance pays for 4x a day, those foil packs make a lot of garbage! I'm colonized with bacteria. It is what it is. I have stinky and/or cloudy pee when I cath sometimes. As long as I don't have incontinence or a fever, I'll continue this way.
    Can this cause bladder cancer or other bad things?
    Being MOH and not ACC, I have to re-use too. I do something similar with my catheters Christopher.
    Aloe Vera is my friend. Give me a PM if you want more information.

Or have a yarn with Duane (dewie27), I am sure that he would be happy to give you his personal take on the subject.
    Or search out Aloe on the Care Cure for more positive reports.
    ATB