Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Member T9

New Member T9

Hello I was lurking at Apparalyzed and was upset when it went down. I was picking up alot of useful ideas and tips. My injury is just under 5 months old. I had a ruptured disc that was calcified and a piece of that bone penetrated the spine. I did 7 weeks in patient rehab, 2 weeks of home health rehab, and 6 more weeks of day institute rehab. I started back working P/T and now will be going F/T again. I am overweight and have been for a long time which adds a little extra challenge to the daily routines. I am married and my wife has been a very important part of my recovery and of course my caregiver. I have been blogging about my recovery since almost the beginning of rehab. It is a little rough as I am typing often tired and on the app on my phone. I haven't missed a day since I started and it has been an adventure for me to share the experience with my friends and collegues at work. I look forward to learning and contributing what I can to the forum.

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/shbettereveryday

Welcome ParaTD!

Welcome ParaTD, I am in awe regarding how people can adjust to sci with only 7 weeks (or shorter) inpatient rehab. I was injured in 1970 and benefitted from 9 months of rehab at Rusk Institute, NYC. The staff were great but my adjustment to this disability largely resulted from close contact with other sci patients. I don't know how I ever could have made peace with sci without this time and opportunity. I wish you the best of luck and good health.

The USA national average rehab length of stay for people with new paraplegic injuries is actually now down to 18 days! Sounds like you were lucky to get 7 weeks. Welcome to our forums!

(KLD)

CareCure has been a great source of motivation and entertainment. Wish you the best!

Todd
    "Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed." - Hunter Thompson
    T5/6 complete

Thanks everybody. My rehab Doctor said 4-8 weeks is normal where not that long ago she said it would be 6 months. I think I would have benefited from a much longer stay but their job seemed to be to get me to where I could function at home. Strangely enough a son of a coworker was injured about the same time and spend about the same amount of time in rehab. I don't think it would have been possible after 18 days to function at home or be anywhere near adjusted to the changes. I am still not but getting by.

Just to be clear, it is not the rehabilitation professionals or even the rehab centers who have been responsible for the drastic downturn in number of days allotted for inpatient acute rehab now days, but the insurance industry, with Medicare leading the way. Most of us in rehab are very frustrated by these short-sighted policies, and wish we could provide a higher level of rehabilitation services for a longer period of time for those who are newly injured.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Just to be clear, it is not the rehabilitation professionals or even the rehab centers who have been responsible for the drastic downturn in number of days allotted for inpatient acute rehab now days, but the insurance industry, with Medicare leading the way. Most of us in rehab are very frustrated by these short-sighted policies, and wish we could provide a higher level of rehabilitation services for a longer period of time for those who are newly injured.

(KLD)
    Insurance is terrible to some of us that live in tough neighbor hood. My first 2 years was great until a error had me discharge over a error clearly seen but the PM&R Md claim he feel uncomfortable treating me under their contract I fail a urine test. I was with him about 18 months with a perfect attendance. I went to him volunteering asking to check for a UTI and he ask to drug screen me. The following week was my routine appointment and he claim to feel uncomfortable treating me over this issue. The same day I said test me again knowing it was a error and not knowing I would be thrown out over such pitiful outcome after the test came back fine. He knew it was a error and we had a positive relationship month to month. Now I get unfair treatment and have suffer so much over what he had done by stating I fail a drug test. I was torture not having medicine and injuries follow me but I will fight to win what hope is available. These doctor can hurt people especially living in poverty environment. Insurance matters and these doctors are turning out to care less. They know nothing especially when it comes to SCI in wish I have to be the one guiding them through Dr. Google. Unbelievable when Chronic Pain is part of ones life. Stay strong and seek knowledge. God bless..
    life begins when you walk in spirit papito189@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by papito1 View Post
    Insurance is terrible to some of us that live in tough neighbor hood. My first 2 years was great until a error had me discharge over a error clearly seen but the PM&R Md claim he feel uncomfortable treating me under their contract I fail a urine test. I was with him about 18 months with a perfect attendance. I went to him volunteering asking to check for a UTI and he ask to drug screen me. The following week was my routine appointment and he claim to feel uncomfortable treating me over this issue. The same day I said test me again knowing it was a error and not knowing I would be thrown out over such pitiful outcome after the test came back fine. He knew it was a error and we had a positive relationship month to month. Now I get unfair treatment and have suffer so much over what he had done by stating I fail a drug test. I was torture not having medicine and injuries follow me but I will fight to win what hope is available. These doctor can hurt people especially living in poverty environment. Insurance matters and these doctors are turning out to care less. They know nothing especially when it comes to SCI in wish I have to be the one guiding them through Dr. Google. Unbelievable when Chronic Pain is part of ones life. Stay strong and seek knowledge. God bless..
    That's messed up!

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    Yes, it is easy to loose insurance coverage. It can come as a huge shock and be financially devastating. I sent you a private message, papito1.
    Female, T9 incomplete