Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable Bed - Worth the Price?

Adjustables are spendy. I have Tempur-pedic with a somewhat firm mattress (still supposed to be pressure relief) for transfers But toyour question however you go adjustable is worth it especially when you need and should elevate legs often . Cheap when compared to Cellulitus infection!

Depends on what size bed you need, skin condition, how you transfer, etc.. I have a full-size bed, a transfer master and a span America pressure guard CFT, probably the best non-powered mattress available for skin protection. It's not easy to find high-end specialized mattresses once you get out of the standard hospital bed size. Span America does have specialized mattresses in the sizes.

I don't think Sleep Number makes those adjustable bases they sell. I think they are made by Leggett & Platt, which is a product I have and like. You can find good deals on them on-line. There are also competitors who make similar products at much lower prices. But I have no experience with them.

The only concern I have with the Leggett & Platt adjustable base is that it adds extra height to the bed that may make it difficult to get into. If you buy one of these adjustable bases, make sure you get a mattress that isn't too tall so that the overall height is manageable. Latex mattresses are a good match. Because they can be low profile (6"-8") and still provides adequate support. Plus they are modular so you can mix and match the two sides if your preferences vary.

Quote Originally Posted by August West View Post
    I don't think Sleep Number makes those adjustable bases they sell. I think they are made by Leggett & Platt, which is a product I have and like. You can find good deals on them on-line. There are also competitors who make similar products at much lower prices. But I have no experience with them.

The only concern I have with the Leggett & Platt adjustable base is that it adds extra height to the bed that may make it difficult to get into. If you buy one of these adjustable bases, make sure you get a mattress that isn't too tall so that the overall height is manageable. Latex mattresses are a good match. Because they can be low profile (6"-8") and still provides adequate support. Plus they are modular so you can mix and match the two sides if your preferences vary.
    You're right Liggett and Platt makes the base and mechanical components that have have failed on my Sleep Number bed with the exception of the pillow top. That said, what most of us like about the Sleep Number system is the adjustability of the pressure of the mattress and that you can be pressure mapped at the Sleep Number stores. I can't fault anything with the adustability of the pressure of the mattress.

The sleep number advertises that the adjust feature helps eliminate snoring. Can anyone confirm this claim? We have a sleep number bed and like it but we are considering buying a king size and getting the adjustable base. However, it's a lot of money and I'm not willing to spend it just to find out it doesn't solve my snoring problem.

If anyone has noticed that the adjustable base helps with snoring I would like to hear from you please. Thank you

I have an adjustable homecare bed, and yes, raising my head virtually eliminates my snoring. My wife elevates her head, too, to virtually eliminating her snoring. We are 2 for 2 for raising our heads to sleep
    Chas
    TiLite TR3
    Dual-Axle TR3 with RioMobility DragonFly
    I am a person with mild/moderate hexaparesis (impaired movement in 4 limbs, head, & torso) caused by RRMS w/TM C7&T7 incomplete.

"I know you think you understand what you thought I said, but what I don't think you realize is that what you heard is not what I meant."
    <
    UNKNOWN AUTHOR>

Just keep in mind that once you elevate the head of your bed beyond 30 degrees, you will significantly increase your risks for developing pressure ulcers due to shear over your sacrum, coccyx, buttocks, and heels.

(Cottageboy above does not appear to have a SCI or other disability according to their profile, so would take their response here with a grain of salt).

(KLD)

Just a few comments: SCI nurse is correct. I'm non-SCI paralyzed with full sensation. Whenever I raise the head of my transfer-master bed to a certain height, I can definitely feel discomfort in my bottom skin and must lower the head to a degree where I'm comfortable.

Spouse (SCI T-10) and I both got individual beds due to the aging process, less strength, and my lengthy hospitalization 7 yrs. ago and loss transfer skills for our queen bed. We are able to do "gravity transfers" because of the ability to power bed up or down. Can raise head of bed as noted, and also foot of bed. The latter came in handy when I crashed my feet into a recycle bin while barefoot, and had to raise the foot of the bed for a couple of weeks to heal some tiny broken bones.

From your profile it appears your husband may be in his 50's? I'm just suggesting you might want to consider potential future bed transfer skills and the need to preserve shoulders. A bed suitable for the 'long haul' is important. Also, have you contacted your insurance rep. to see what's covered? Doctor input also important.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    sleep number is worth every penny. we use the adju7stable base every night
    Absolutely agree! I can sleep in same position for 9 hrs with no pressure issues.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps View Post
    that's the great thing about sleep number, put to 100 to dress and transfer then down to sleep. my number is 40.
    Fu, With the Sleep Number bed, can you sleep on your back all night or do you change positions ?