Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adjustable Bed - Worth the Price?

Adjustable Bed - Worth the Price?

Hi. Just as background info, my husband became a paraplegic after a fall from a deer stand in 2013 (T12-L1). He can move his legs, but has no feeling below the knees. His feet and legs swell quite a bit and he has a lot of nerve pain. (I used to post in the Apparelyzed forum.)

Anyway, we're needing a new mattress. I'm looking at adjustable bases and am wondering if they are worth the price. Dual twin mattresses are out of our price range (even if my side was not adjustable.) The queen size mattress with adjustable base is more than we wanted to spend, but I would love for him to be able to elevate his legs easily as well as make it easier for him to get out of bed. I'm afraid that he won't get the use of those features as often as he should because I'll be in the bed, too.

I don't know what to do. Any suggestions or advice?

sleep number is worth every penny. we use the adju7stable base every night
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thank you for the info! I didn't think to look at a sleep number bed. I thought they only adjusted the firmness of the mattress. They have an adjustable base as well that will allow you to elevate your feet?

Yes - they have adjustable bases, but I think the ones I bought for my King 9 years ago were $1200 (2x $600). Try eBay, sometimes you can find a good used mattress and adjustable base [and with sleep numbers air mattress design everything is washable, so its not like buying a typical mattress]. I miss sleeping in mine, but after breaking my neck I require lateral rotation every hour which is a whole new sector of beds.

Another option may be buying a good used hospital bed (or two side by side). eBay is flooded with them as hospitals regularly upgrade and liquidate the previous models cheap (especially cheap if all your looking for is the adjustability)... Just a thought.

I think the sleep number beds are too expensive plus they dont alternate. I am researching the alternating mattresses in both overlays and a full mattress which is recommended by my doctor. The theory makes sense and they seem like they would be very comfortable. Gotta see if there are studies on the automatics and what else I can find out.

I certainly appreciate the feedback! I'm looking at the Reverie adjustable base with a conventional mattress. My husband likes a firm mattress for transferring in and out of the wheelchair, plus he had a lot of trouble turning over in bed with the foam mattresses we looked at. I'm concerned about pressure sores with a firm mattress; but, for now, that's what he wants. He doesn't seem to care about the adjustable base, but I think it would be so good for him.

that's the great thing about sleep number, put to 100 to dress and transfer then down to sleep. my number is 40.
    Quote Originally Posted by techaide View Post
    I certainly appreciate the feedback! I'm looking at the Reverie adjustable base with a conventional mattress. My husband likes a firm mattress for transferring in and out of the wheelchair, plus he had a lot of trouble turning over in bed with the foam mattresses we looked at. I'm concerned about pressure sores with a firm mattress; but, for now, that's what he wants. He doesn't seem to care about the adjustable base, but I think it would be so good for him.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I am a fan of Sleep Number beds too. We have the Series 7000, split king mattress (two twin frames and mattresses) with pillow top. However, over the years, I have spent a good deal of additional money keeping them going. In 9 years, I have replaced the pillow top, the foam layer beneath that, the pump that keeps the mattress inflated, and now I am replacing the bed base motor drive unit that raises and lowers the head and foot of the bed. The head and foot still work, but the head is not raising to the most upright angle and when it raises as high as it can, the head drifts down. That part should come in this week. Sleep Number told us it is easy for owners to install. Both beds have this problem, but we're only replacing the unit on my bed since NL doesn't use the feature very often.

I don't know what alternative bed I would go to, but my Sleep Number experience hasn't been flawless or even close.

Love the sleep number. Check their outlet. https://www.sleepnumber.com/sn/en/Fa...tlet/p/FO-4000.

Also call their toll free number and ask about refurbished beds, which are returned electronics with new bedding.

You may save a lot.

Independent of the mattress style (Sleep Number mattresses are very expensive for a simple air mattress), look for a used hospital bed. Try Craigslist. We gave away one for free with delivery and it took more than a week to find a recipient. It makes so many things easier, including dressing, self cathing and preventing lower leg swelling.

I use a hospital bed in one side and a simple single bed in the other side of a king size frame.