Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: TilLite Splitstream Fork Bearing Replacement

TilLite Splitstream Fork Bearing Replacement

Does anyone have some advice on how to replace the bearings on a TiLite Slipstream fork? Also what size the bearing is? Mine is pretty much toast:

illinois, and no, chicago is not anywhere near where i live
    Looks like it says R8 on the dust shield? I bought a bunch off amazon last time I replaced bearings. Mine wouldn't turn worth the crap and i think it was just one of the two, but they are cheap.

It's marked on the shield under that goop. To remove look for hole on the side with a set screw.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    . To remove look for hole on the side with a set screw.
    And then go at it with a hammer and punch from the opposite end. You seem to have lucked out with the bearings coming out with the fork so you have access to remove them. If you run into a case where the bearing stays with the fork stem at the top...this will get that off:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321618588491

Thanks, it is an R8 (I looked at the less f*cked up one on the other side). Bought some bearing, the thing Andy mentioned and a bicycle bearing puller off of amazon that looked handy. I resisted the 97 dollar ceramic bearings (until I know if I can actually get one out and put a new one in).

FWIW, I have the exact same problem on the right side caster on my Icon w/ frog legs single sided fork. I think I need to push my chair farther back when I shower. Its two chars where the right side has rusted out and the left side is pristine and I do approach the shower bench in my bathroom from the right.

I notice that too. Right side gets wet from car washing (right handed), and there goes the caster and fork bearings. I was thinking of getting stainless steel bearings, but those cheap regular bearings sure are cheap to replace

If you take the seals out of the bearings and pack (really fill them) with grease they will stand more abuse from water, snow, dirt. Most bearings come with what's called a 1/4 pack. It means what it says: from the factory they put 1/4 the grease in them that will fit. I've used the same bearings in my chair for longer than I can remember, because I fill them with grease and clean and repack them one a year or so.
    Ceramic bearings are a waist of money on a chair. They are ceramic to resist heat. When you get the bearing up to high speed it gets hot, expands and slows you down. If you have a street chair going fast enough to cause the bearings to get hot, you got bigger problems than a little grease.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by baldfatdad View Post
    If you take the seals out of the bearings and pack (really fill them) with grease they will stand more abuse from water, snow, dirt. Most bearings come with what's called a 1/4 pack. It means what it says: from the factory they put 1/4 the grease in them that will fit. I've used the same bearings in my chair for longer than I can remember, because I fill them with grease and clean and repack them one a year or so.
    Ceramic bearings are a waist of money on a chair. They are ceramic to resist heat. When you get the bearing up to high speed it gets hot, expands and slows you down. If you have a street chair going fast enough to cause the bearings to get hot, you got bigger problems than a little grease.
    If his issue is corrosion on the steel balls wouldn't ceramic potentially help?
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    If his issue is corrosion on the steel balls wouldn't ceramic potentially help?
    yeah that was my thought as well. time is money and if I can spend more on something I don't have to repack with grease constantly then it is worth it.

The ceramics are a combo of ceramic and metal balls. The races and cages are metal. Sometimes the cages are plastic on the real cheap bearings.