Thread: SCI-Nurse - what kind of blood pressure cuff?

SCI-Nurse - what kind of blood pressure cuff?

I currently use a digital wrist blood pressure cuff. It's been suggested that I use them upper arm cuff instead. What is your opinion on this? Whichever type you like, is there any brand or model you recommend? I welcome input from anyone.

Thank you.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

When I was buying my blood pressure monitor, I did a little research and found that the American Heart Association recommends an upper arm cuff over a wrist cuff. Evidently, the wrist cuff is more sensitive to positioning of the wrist and arm to the level of the heart.

Consumer Reports, in 2016, rated the Omron 10 Series BP786 highest in their tests. Retail about $75.

After I bought my monitor, I took it with me to an appointment with my primary care physician. After the Medical Tech took my blood pressure with the office cuff, I had her take it with my home cuff and the readings were within a point or two of one another for both diastolic and systolic measurements.

Yes, upper arm sphygmomanometers (the technical name for blood pressure measurement devices) are considered more accurate.

It is critical though that you purchase one of the correct size. Too small or too large can give you very inaccurate readings. Measure around your mid-upper arm (cm. is best) to be able to select the correct size. The "bladder" also must be correctly positioned over the brachial artery (there should be directions on how to assure this with the cuff). A digital blood pressure cuff will be much easier for you to use independently, as you don't also have to master the use of a stethoscope.

Here is a website for an organization that sets standards for and rates cuffs available in the USA for meeting their standards. This organization is authorized by organization such as the AHA to set and maintain these standards: http://www.dableducational.org/

Here is their page with listings of different brands of home upper arm devices and whether or not they meet their standards:
    http://www.dableducational.org/sphyg....html#ArmTable

You should also look for a approval rating on the device box from the American Association of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI).

(KLD)