Thread: What is the difference between movicol and dulcolax

What is the difference between movicol and dulcolax

Movicol only works sporadically for me, one dulcolax never works, whereas 2 dulcolax is explosive. What is each ones mode of operation? I heard dulcolax only workd on what is in the colon or rectum, whereas movicol softens stools rather than boost intestinal activity. I'm trying to find something that works but not explosively.
    Everybody wants freedom.... They just don't want it for everybody else...

A college professor, a man I now consider my dad, once told me...
    "The minute you let someone decide what you can and cannot do, your life is no longer yours." A truer word has never been spoken in my opinion.

Professor Bill Johnston
    (1930- )

Your Movicol is our Miralax. Both are composed of Polyethylene Glycol. PEG softens stool by pulling in water from the intestines. It can take up to a few days for PEG products to work.

Dulcolax is a stimulant laxative that acts on the colon. It works on the colon's nerves to make muscles contract and move the stool downstream. It also increases fluid output to soften the stool. Duclolax usually works in 4-6 hours.

That is correct.

Movicol (called Miralax in the USA) is an osmotic laxative. It pulls water into your gut from your body, while providing some increase in peristalsis, which results in the stool moving more quickly through your gut. There have not been any long-term studies on the routine (versus as needed) use of Movicol.

Bisacodyl (Dulcolax is just a brand) is more of a stimulant than a laxative. It works instead on the myenteric plexus, which are the autonomic nerves that cause peristalsis to occur. It increases peristalsis, moving stool faster through your gut. If used orally, it effects the entire gut. If used as a rectal suppository, it works primarily on the lower half of the large intestine. Stool may be softer because it doesn't stay in your intestines long enough to get all dried out, but it does not draw water into the gut the way that Movicol does. I would suggest avoiding the oral form of bisacodyl on a regular basis...it is pretty strong. See if you can just use the suppository.

(KLD)