Thread: Healing after fusion

Healing after fusion

What are the best supplements (if any) should be used for fusion healing I.E.: calcium

Eating a good balanced diet is most important. Protein is especially important. Are you lactose intolerant? If not, then dairy products are better sources of both protein and calcium than any supplement. Greek yogurt, skim milk, low fat cottage cheese, etc. are excellent sources of both. In addition, plenty of fruits and vegetables to be sure you are getting vitamins and minerals important for bone healing should be included. You may want to have your vitamin D levels checked, and if low, take a vitamin D supplement though. It is hard to keep your vitamin D levels up during the winter, and vitamin D is very important when trying to build and maintain bone structure.

(KLD)

Thank you very much.
    my prior fusions were done at a different hospital using a FDA approved synthetic material.

keep up the great work you do

I've either broken every vertebra, had a fusion done or had screws(hardware)from T-8 down to L-2.
    On 11/28/16 laminectomy L-2/L-3, 3 level fusion(revision fusion T-12/L-1) rods placed from T-11 through L-1 approx. 6 screws
    02/14/11 lamy at L-1/L-2, foraminotomy at L-3/L-4 , protrusion at L5/S-1
    04/20/07 failed removal of Harrington rods left with permanent nerve damage
    09/15/85 f/x t8 thru t-11, fusion at t-9/t-10, 1 1/2" bruse on cord

I found myself craving peanut butter like crazy post fusion. I also took more B vitamins in addition to SCI-Nurse's suggestions above. For some reason I battled anemia after fusion, I'm guessing it was due to a change in my eating habits (cervical fusion, swallowing was affected for a few months) I just wasn't getting enough iron. If you feel totally run down while recuperating that might be a culprit.
    CCS/Walker C6...it's a long story

Thanks for your reply
    i had a replacement fusion and this time they used bone from my hip.
    SCI nurse gave a pretty complete run down of the proper foods

I've either broken every vertebra, had a fusion done or had screws(hardware)from T-8 down to L-2.
    On 11/28/16 laminectomy L-2/L-3, 3 level fusion(revision fusion T-12/L-1) rods placed from T-11 through L-1 approx. 6 screws
    02/14/11 lamy at L-1/L-2, foraminotomy at L-3/L-4 , protrusion at L5/S-1
    04/20/07 failed removal of Harrington rods left with permanent nerve damage
    09/15/85 f/x t8 thru t-11, fusion at t-9/t-10, 1 1/2" bruse on cord