Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Securing catheter bag tubing

Securing catheter bag tubing

Due to a recent injury (falling out of my chair) I am unable to empty my leg bag. I am using a catheter bag hanging under the wheelchair but I am having awful trouble with the tubing twisting the urodome. Could somebody give me some advice on what product I might use to secure the catheter bag tubing to my leg to prevent it from turning around and twisting the urodome?

Cheers
    Steve

While this is labeled as a "Foley holder" we use these for securing all sorts of tubing, including drainage bag tubing for external condom catheters. I believe they are available in Australia:

http://www.dalemed.com/product/hold-n-place-leg-band/

(KLD)

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    While this is labeled as a "Foley holder" we use these for securing all sorts of tubing, including drainage bag tubing for external condom catheters. I believe they are available in Australia:

http://www.dalemed.com/product/hold-n-place-leg-band/

(KLD)
    Tried these years ago, they didn't work for me. They didn't stay in place and ended up pulling on the catheter. Small thighs...maybe the problem.

I use 3m Durapore tape. It's a good adhesive tape.

Thank you for the links. I had physio on my shoulder recently and discovered a cheap solution and that was to use strapping tape which holds it in place perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by takenaback View Post
    Thank you for the links. I had physio on my shoulder recently and discovered a cheap solution and that was to use strapping tape which holds it in place perfectly.
    I would be very careful using tape like this on your skin. You can have a reaction to the adhesive since it is not designed for use on skin, and can get blisters or skin tears, esp. when removing it.

(KLD)

Thanks for the response and I will keep that in mind. The physiotherapist (physical therapist) put it on my shoulder for four days and held securely so I think it probably is designed to go against skin. No reactions on the thigh so far.

I think you must mean what we call kinesiotape in the USA. That is very different than strapping tape which is cellophane tape with threads running through it used for taping cardboard boxes and packages, like this:

(KLD)
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 12-27-2016 at 01:16 AM.