Thread: Disability discrimination?

Question Disability discrimination?

I just got back from getting a storage unit for my fianc? who is on her way into town. I had to do the paperwork in the parking lot because there wasn't a ramp into the office. Wtf! Not to mention it was 42 degrees outside. I know this isn't up to par with the ADA code as well as there were no handicap parking spots but what do I do about it? I'm more than pissed and a little humiliated.

I hate that this is my first post in so long. Been missing this place. 🤗😋
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    I would write a letter to the owner identifying the problem(s). If you can see solutions that aren't too hard, id those as well. I wouldn't be mad in the letter, or threatening.

When you return, make sure you park sideways, taking up two or three parking spots.

I don't know if you will get action, but the only other thing you can do is sue. My bank had bad access and it took about 3 years before the problem was resolved (but wouldn't have been if I hadn't written a letter).
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

Disability discrimination? No.

Disability discrimination? No.

Inaccessible? Yes.

Violation of the ADA? Yes.

Building codes violations? Yes.

So? What to do about it?

Every municipality has an ADA Liaison in City Hall. Small and very small municipalities the building inspector, building engineer or city engineer would wear that hat as ADA Liaison. It first depends on how large this community is?

I would contact City Hall and ask for the ADA Liaison. If they don't have one ask for the building inspector or structural engineer or the person who takes ADA complaints. Talk with this person and tell them there is no ramp to the structure and no wheelchair parking either. The City will go out and inspect the building against the ADA code and probably inspect the restrooms too. If the City finds code violations they will write this storage unit company and list the violation with the amount of fine for each violation. The company has usually 90 days to comply or they get fined and they must repair the code violations or be shut down.

You can write the Department of Justice and put in an ADA complaint but it will take couple of months before you get an answer whereas City Hall is much faster.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."

Was the place established before the ADA? If so then I'm pretty sure that there's not much you can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Was the place established before the ADA? If so then I'm pretty sure that there's not much you can do about it.
    You could be right but if the business entity has done renovations since ADA they are supposed to utilize (I think) 15% of renovation costs to render the business more accessible.

Agreed, if the business was to undergo any renovations it would most likely have to comply with ADA accommodations.

I contacted the Disability Law Center and they filed a complaint on my behalf.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs View Post
    I contacted the Disability Law Center and they filed a complaint on my behalf.
    Good job that you took action on this matter. You are also helping others who don't want bother with filing a complaint.

We need more people with disabilities to put in more complaints about places that are inaccessible.

Ti
    "We must overcome difficulties rather than being overcome by difficulties."