Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone use a strap in front of their legs?

Does anyone use a strap in front of their legs?

Just like the title says. My legs to have a mind of their own thanks to spasms. I've taken to putting a calf strap on the front of my frame, but the way the straps fit there's still some play that lets my feet pop off of my footplate. Does anyone have a solution?

I have seen this product: http://tinyurl.com/AAASP-harness and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with it.

Many thanks!
    SD

p.s.,
    Shout out to my fellow apparelyzed diaspora.

Blog Entries
    When playing basketball we used calf straps around the tops of our feet, going around/under the footrest. Without also having a waist strap, however, spilling out of your chair with your feet strapped down could easily break your legs.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Yeah, I've thought about the tipping out problem. Then again, where's your sense of adventure?!!

Blog Entries
    I've already had enough ER adventures to last a couple lifetimes!
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

This will probably be frowned on having read the other thread but depending on the design of your chair you could do what I did pictured here. A piece of pvc pipe cut to length, inch pipe I think, drilled a hole in each end to attach a bungee cord to hold in place and off my feet and pipe insulation for padding and this does a great job. I just kept a close watch on my legs at first to make sure sores did not develop. And yes as stated in both threads there are serious unintended results with doing this but have been using this daily basis since April 2016 and it has not been a problem. Almost tried to transfer out of my chair a couple of times before taking bar off but so far have remembered before actually transfering.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by djrolling; 12-22-2016 at 05:03 PM.

Velcro

This can be an option https://www.lowes.com/pd/VELCRO-1-in...stener/1085819
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

Quote Originally Posted by russianboss View Post
    How much does that strap give? In other words how far forward would that strap allow either foot to move?

I used a lashing strap, two for about $6. I used one on my chair and one in my car. I don't need them any more but still keep one in the car just in case. I found the cause of my spasms. It took a while and it's much easier said than done. But it's worth looking into. For me it was my wheelchair (cushion & posture), UTIs, toe injury, and a malfunctioning baclofen pump.

I'd be careful about strapping or pinning legs to footrest, if you ever fell it could spell a serious break of the upper or lower leg. I would suggest coating the footrest with a rubber material so as to keep the feet from moving as much and allowing the legs to move out incase of a accidental fall.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred