Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires with more traction for power chair

Just a follow up on this. I've been running these 17" roto tiller tires for over a year now and zero problems. Went camping last weekend and had to climb a steep embankment to get up from the beach. Still plenty of torque to do so and traction is great. I think the saving grace with these is that these DC motors have an abundance of torque when the motor rpm is low. Which is exactly when you need the extra torque to turn these bigger tires. Once you're moving, you don't need all the extra torque.

So I gained a whole bunch of traction, gained a couple mph of top speed, and still have plenty of torque to exceed my traction in any of my given situations. Also motors never feel hot either even after a mile of cruising.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tsquared; 08-18-2018 at 06:48 PM.

Tsquared, nicely done. Did you use the stock rims, and did you have to space them away from the motors?

Good Set up. would like to find tires for my Jazzy 1113. The treads on those tires are great for carpets.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    Tsquared, nicely done. Did you use the stock rims, and did you have to space them away from the motors?
    Stock rims, inner tunes, and 1.5" lug spacers. Couldn't find any rims to work with the 4x3" bolt pattern. If I had to do it all over again, I would fab up a plate with that bolt pattern to attach a 6 inch snowblower rim, cause that would then open up possibilities for similar tread tires but in 13-14".

These are the spacers, 1.5" each side: https://www.amazon.com/Krator-Spacer.../dp/B016N2TMMA

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    Good Set up. would like to find tires for my Jazzy 1113. The treads on those tires are great for carpets.......
    Haven't used a power chair indoors in years. It's strictly an outdoor rig for me. For the non-ATV situations.
    Last edited by Tsquared; 08-18-2018 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    Graybeard what size are your rims and tires? Do you know the bolt pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    Stock rims, inner tunes, and 1.5" lug spacers. Couldn't find any rims to work with the 4x3" bolt pattern. If I had to do it all over again, I would fab up a plate with that bolt pattern to attach a 6 inch snowblower rim, cause that would then open up possibilities for similar tread tires but in 13-14".

These are the spacers, 1.5" each side: https://www.amazon.com/Krator-Spacer.../dp/B016N2TMMA

Haven't used a power chair indoors in years. It's strictly an outdoor rig for me. For the non-ATV situations.
    Thats a good find on those spacers. Not to throw out the wet blanket but those wheels/tires spaced out like that will be harsh on the motor bearings. I have a feeling they may be short lived. It looks like you have a pretty good amount of space before the tires rub the motor, so different hubs, or custom adapters is something you might want to consider.

Thats a good find on those spacers. Not to throw out the wet blanket but those wheels/tires spaced out like that will be harsh on the motor bearings. I have a feeling they may be short lived. It looks like you have a pretty good amount of space before the tires rub the motor, so different hubs, or custom adapters is something you might want to consider.
    Well they rubbed the motors without the spacers, so at most I have 1.5" clearance now. No arguing though that there will be increased stress on the gearbox bearings. I've had one side's gearbox opened once before when a snap ring broke and the gear slid on shaft and lost engagement from the worm. Was super easy to work on. I guess we'll find out how long they hold up. Everything else on the chair is original from 2002. I also run 35ah AGM batteries and probably save about 70 lbs total there. Since I'm never needing to use it all day I can get by with the decreased capacity.

Those tires are so "cool"!! Thanks for the photo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsquared View Post
    Well they rubbed the motors without the spacers, so at most I have 1.5" clearance now. No arguing though that there will be increased stress on the gearbox bearings. I've had one side's gearbox opened once before when a snap ring broke and the gear slid on shaft and lost engagement from the worm. Was super easy to work on. I guess we'll find out how long they hold up. Everything else on the chair is original from 2002. I also run 35ah AGM batteries and probably save about 70 lbs total there. Since I'm never needing to use it all day I can get by with the decreased capacity.
    I'm going to have to look at hubs on some spare motors I have laying around. I think using longer studs combined with a spacer plate would be the cheapest and best way to go. A 1/4" space from the motor would be plenty.

I'm going to have to look at hubs on some spare motors I have laying around. I think using longer studs combined with a spacer plate would be the cheapest and best way to go. A 1/4" space from the motor would be plenty.
    Completely agree! If I would have had the availability to do that at the time, definitely would have. I could probably make that happen now, have a few more resources available to me now. Gotta take a closer measurement to see what my actual clearance is now.