Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tires with more traction for power chair

Tires with more traction for power chair

I have a Quickie S-646 that I only use for doing things around my yard, summer mostly, but some winter use. It's due for new tires, current size is the 8" rim, tires are 3-4" wide and 13" overall height I think. I'll have to get the exact specs on them. Since it only sees outdoor use I want something that will give me much better traction than the standard primo tires, and I'm trouble finding anything.

Wondering if others have done this and what tires they know work? So far the only thing i can find for an 8 inch diameter rim, and narrow enough and with good tread, is these snowblower tires: https://simpletire.com/kenda-4.808-074780820a1-tires I would gain a little overall tire diameter and ground clearance, so I would likely need to upsize my front tires a bit as well to balance the chair back out.

I'm just commenting that there probably tires out there that would fit. I use a ZX1 scooter and bought snow tires for it online. Can't remember the name of the company but they had huge supply. I had copied the data from the side of the tire that came with the scooter, then estimated a bit taller, wider, and they fit perfectly. Worked to well that I leave them of year round.
    At the site there was a section for "wheelchair" tires.

Thanks for the info. I did some searching and couldn't find anything. Took a risk and ordered these: https://simpletire.com/deestone-4.008-ds5212-tires I know I'll be pushing it for clearance, and also having enough torque to turn the larger diameter tires. Figure I can figure out a way to space the wheels wider if they interfere with anything if I have to. If it works out I'll gain a ton of ground clearance and traction. I'll update this thread once I get them on.

Those are cool "farm tires". Hope they work out ok.

Just a note: I remembered I ordered mine from Monster tires, but just tried several times and could not connect to their website. Maybe the company was bought out. I did find some sites for "scooter" tires, with a lot tires with traction. Hope you have success with the ones you ordered.

Thanks again for the info. I did search for high traction, deep lug, winter tire, etc. for mobility scooters. Came up with some results, but none for an 8 inch rim.

You probably will not find a really compatible tire to fit your original wheels you will very likely have to make a hub to space out your tires from rubbing. There are a lot of schemes out there that make wider better traction tires work on a chair like yours. Maintaining your original outside diameter is important to do. If you get too large you will exceed the possible torque you can expect from the motors in your chair and you may cook them. Take a look at the Site; WheelChairDriver.com read the whole thing before hitting the forum. There is a ton of things you might find not only informative as well as fascinating with all the things that you may find you can actually do, to create a more functional power chair.

Just bear in mind that doing "stuff" like that make any current chair warrantee invalid, additionally any "wheelchair" technician may not likely do any additional work to/on your or any home modified chair.

A couple things: those tires you ordered will be taller so it'll effect torque; the fenders will hit so they'll need to be omitted. They might work with the stock wheels, if you use tubes, but the wheels will need to be spaced out because they will rub on the motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Sullivan View Post
    Take a look at the Site; WheelChairDriver.com read the whole thing before hitting the forum. There is a ton of things you might find not only informative as well as fascinating with all the things that you may find you can actually do, to create a more functional power chair.
    Good info about the site. I'll check it out.

Just bear in mind that doing "stuff" like that make any current chair warrantee invalid, additionally any "wheelchair" technician may not likely do any additional work to/on your or any home modified chair.
    No concers about that for me. Chair is from 2002 and no longer being covered or serviced by anyone but yours truly, all on my own dime. Insurance covers one primary for me, my TiLite.

You probably will not find a really compatible tire to fit your original wheels you will very likely have to make a hub to space out your tires from rubbing. There are a lot of schemes out there that make wider better traction tires work on a chair like yours. Maintaining your original outside diameter is important to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames View Post
    A couple things: those tires you ordered will be taller so it'll effect torque; the fenders will hit so they'll need to be omitted. They might work with the stock wheels, if you use tubes, but the wheels will need to be spaced out because they will rub on the motors.
    The tires I ordered are only 1/2" wider each side of each rim than stock. I already planned on removing the fender, obviously needs to be done when increasing the OD. With fender gone my clearance to each motor should still be enough, but like I already mentioned before, I was aware of that and am able to space out if I have to. Same thing for the size affecting torque, was already aware of that and decided its worth the risk, and I'll keep a close eye on how the motors respond to the extra load. And had already located tubes for these, current tires are foam filled, and since my rims are split tubes were already on the list. Wasn't ever a question for me on that so I never bothered posting anything about it. Just wanted better traction tires that would fit stock rims, so these I'm going to try. Would have loved to stick with same OD, but none were found. If I splurge for different and wider rims with a wider backspace, I'll have endless options. Just trying to avoid that for now.

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    Permobil has mud and snow tires that are 14'' X 3'' or 3.00 - 8, which can be ordered from a local dealer.

The part number for the tire was #1825108 and the tube was #600700-99-0. They are more aggressive than their standard tire but nothing like a knobby. The VA has ordered the snow tires on both of my C500's instead of the standard one. Kind of similar to the Carlisle Power Track from the site you ordered from.
    Last edited by forestranger52; 12-22-2016 at 09:39 PM.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt