Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: handicap bathroom use

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I dunno, you could make the same case for an open handicap parking spot. If no one is using it, and it's all that is left, why not? Or the few accessible seats at a movie theater. Etc, etc. Since many of us can't hold it, waiting for an AB isn't reasonable, IMO.
    IMO taking the accessible seats in a movie theater if "it's all that's left and no one is using it" is completely reasonable. Like sitting on the bench seat that folds up to make a wheelchair space on the bus. It's fine because you can move if somebody shows up who needs it. You're not an ass until you don't move.

Parking spaces are different because an AB has no idea if one of us is looking for a parking spot while their in McDonalds eating their double big mac.

Bathrooms are a bit trickier. I mean think about it if everyone in a busy bathroom is AB there naturally forms two lines (at least in the Men's room), those who need to take a shit and those who are waiting for a urinal. If there's more than one (or especially more than two) non-HC bathroom stalls, then I feel like you're not skipping anyone in line at all. There are three lines now, one for the urinals, one for the toilets and one for the HC stall. Obviously you wouldn't skip someone else in a wheelchair, you're just not waiting in the same line as everyone else.

If there's only one toilet (like a few bathrooms at work), and someone is clearly waiting for it, I will wait in line behind them like a normal human being. I don't get to skip the line just because I roll around in a titanium exoskeleton (although a lot of the time they will let me go ahead).

But in the end it's pretty douchey when someone uses the HC stall in a completely empty bathroom because they know they are going the be there for a while taking a dump (which I guess is why they picked an empty bathroom) and want the extra 6 square feet of floor space so they don't feel so claustrophobic. Working in a hospital I run into this almost every day, I assume because 50% of people in the hospital got there at 4 am after chugging starbucks on the way and have the coffee shits every day in the mid morning...

If possible to get past the AB's in line...we go right to the handicapped stall and wait there.
    I was floored with a bathroom I recently saw at the Minneapolis airport. Big room airport bathroom with lots of stalls and at the very end set away from all the other ones was a large handicapped restroom. Very posh....it had the toilet and an easy to access sink, soap and towels all contained in this room within a room in the bathroom. It ALSO has a door button for entry/exit. Somehow setting it back with very clear handicapped signage and the door buttons made people think twice to use it. Indeed there was a line of women to use the stalls but no ABs were using the cleverly designed handicapped bathroom and there was plenty of room to wheel past everyone. Kudos to whoever designed this! I wish I took pictures to post...next time!

Thanks Funklab. Your video skit gave me a chuckle.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

So many ways of looking at the same problem. I just don't take offense or blast a person, when someone is in the HP space. AND I usually do not have much time to wait after my first "inkling" due to prostate cancer treatment and my SCI it is a double whammy. BUT we all have to go when we have to go, let it go at that.

Woodland, CA, USA Old male, T12 incomplete TM 2004
    In general, I agree with triumph. But I did find a situation in which the handicapped toilet should be just for handicapped. In 2008, my wife and I went to Burning Man. It's a big, week long, camp in the desert, event. It was advertised that the handicapped toilets would be locked and handicapped people would be provided a key. But they didn't get around to actualizing that good idea. So, the toilets were a line of portapotties with a handicapped one on each end and about 25 smaller porties between. Since anyone could use anyone, it seemed that most people went in the first one available, which was the handicapped porti. Of course, once a hundred people had gone through, it was a mess, and then people would open the door, see the mess, and move on to another one. Of course, if you are in a wheelchair, you can't move on to one that is cleaner. I had to have my wife take in a broom, sweep out the pee, and do a little clean up before I could even get in to use it. So, in these types of situations, only the handicapped should be able to use the handicapped toilet.
    TM 2004 T12 incomplete

For me it's at the hockey games. Sign on the wall next to the elevator says for disabled use only. Now I know that isn't realistic with all of the lazy ass people who can't take the stairs or the moving escalators. But if I roll in and there is a line I should be able to go straight to the front and everyone else can file in behind me. But that never happens.

That must be that Arena in Tampa where the hockey team plays your talking about. I recently went to a Concert there and it was a mess with too few elevators and a/b's using them without regard for disabled people who could not take the stairs, it took me about an hour to get up to the concert which had already started and I got there an hour early too. Craziest thing I've ever seen.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    That must be that Arena in Tampa where the hockey team plays your talking about. I recently went to a Concert there and it was a mess with too few elevators and a/b's using them without regard for disabled people who could not take the stairs, it took me about an hour to get up to the concert which had already started and I got there an hour early too. Craziest thing I've ever seen.
    Same thing here at our AAA team's ballpark. 2 tiny elevators, 3-4 people max, crammed in, and crazy wait times with ABs in line to avoid a few flights of stairs. Takes me forever to get out of there, and never once has anyone with a mobility impairment been shown to the head of the line in all my times going there.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    Yes sir! That's the place. We are season ticket holders and attend as many games as possible. What they need are the elevators IKEA uses. Those things are huge!
    Attached Images Attached Images