Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: handicap bathroom use

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Same thing here at our AAA team's ballpark. 2 tiny elevators, 3-4 people max, crammed in, and crazy wait times with ABs in line to avoid a few flights of stairs. Takes me forever to get out of there, and never once has anyone with a mobility impairment been shown to the head of the line in all my times going there.
    It's very disappointing! But we don't let that stop us. Life is to short. Enjoy it!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HACKNSACK44 View Post
    It's very disappointing! But we don't let that stop us. Life is to short. Enjoy it!
    Exactly!
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

When an elevator or space is designated HP only, then I feel it is OK to be rude to those who are apparently AB's. It's a lot of fun to try to get into a tiny single purpose elevator with a bunch of people trying to make room for me in my chair. I can get rather clumsy with my controls (accidently/on purpose) in such a situation.

This happened to me in Savannah GA. a few years back there are steps going down to the Riverfront and elevators for HP folks. It was quite a struggle to get in the elevator, but I was fairly new using the chair back then. Those were not marked HP only that I can recall.

Waiting in a line of walkees for an elevator sounds odd. Why wouldn't you go to the head of the line? And folks with heart ailments, etc. who must take an elevator should be up to the front of the line with you. Come on, folks, this is about respect, IMHO!

Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Waiting in a line of walkees for an elevator sounds odd. Why wouldn't you go to the head of the line? And folks with heart ailments, etc. who must take an elevator should be up to the front of the line with you. Come on, folks, this is about respect, IMHO!
    Unfortunately people don't respect other people. They don't care that them being a lazy ass interferes with my normal life. So screw them. Carma is a bitch!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Don't they have as much a right to use it as me? I don't know why any of them are in line. An elevator is typically not reserved, or prioritized, just for handicapped people. I see lots of strollers in elevators, too, for example. I think I'm special, sure, but I try not to force anyone else to acknowledge that. . Butting to the front of a public elevator line on account of a wheelchair is a bit too diva for me.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    Don't they have as much a right to use it as me? I don't know why any of them are in line. An elevator is typically not reserved, or prioritized, just for handicapped people. I see lots of strollers in elevators, too, for example. I think I'm special, sure, but I try not to force anyone else to acknowledge that. . Butting to the front of a public elevator line on account of a wheelchair is a bit too diva for me.
    Is it possible these lone elevators that folks flock to are actually there because of the ADA (Americans With Disabilities Act)? It seems a venue would be required to provide disabled customers with accessible access to their site, not just stairs.
    Yes, common sense would have strollers, etc. in them too.
    Yes, non-disabled have the right to be lazy and take an elevator. You don't know why they are in line? On the other hand, they know why you are in line.