Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: handicap bathroom use

handicap bathroom use

Just returned from a cruise. Had a great time. I noticed that a lot of folks seem to be using the handicapped bathroom that are ablebodied and I am confused by this. Are they supposed to be using it? I found I had to wait quite frequently for it to be available for use. Am finding this happening in other places as well.
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Just a couple of comments: In my opinion, if a non disabled person enters the bathroom and all the stalls are filled except the handicapped one, I don't see any reason they should not go use it.
    However, if a wheeler, for instance, enters the bathroom and ALL stalls are full and there's a line of people waiting, the wheeler should go straight to the handicapped stall and sit outside the door for it to become vacant. If not, wheeler could be waiting double time. I have used this tactic often. The rules about 'waiting your turn' do not apply in this situation.

What do you think?

exactly triumph! in almost every public bathroom i use someone is in the handicapped one almost all the time. mostly because and don't ask me why but they love to put the baby changing stations in them. and then leave them down instead of up where they are supposed to be.
    T6 incomplete from MS and an aortic aneurysm surgery that went bad.

Triumph, 100% right. That's the only way it can work. And it makes the line o faster when the AB uses the empty HP stall.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by triumph View Post
    Just a couple of comments: In my opinion, if a non disabled person enters the bathroom and all the stalls are filled except the handicapped one, I don't see any reason they should not go use it.
    However, if a wheeler, for instance, enters the bathroom and ALL stalls are full and there's a line of people waiting, the wheeler should go straight to the handicapped stall and sit outside the door for it to become vacant. If not, wheeler could be waiting double time. I have used this tactic often. The rules about 'waiting your turn' do not apply in this situation.

What do you think?
    I dunno, you could make the same case for an open handicap parking spot. If no one is using it, and it's all that is left, why not? Or the few accessible seats at a movie theater. Etc, etc. Since many of us can't hold it, waiting for an AB isn't reasonable, IMO.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    I dunno, you could make the same case for an open handicap parking spot. If no one is using it, and it's all that is left, why not? Or the few accessible seats at a movie theater. Etc, etc. Since many of us can't hold it, waiting for an AB isn't reasonable, IMO.
    If they don't have a card or license plate I call the cops. Am so tired of seeing AB take advantage of that.
    Art

Sydney, Australia ..................... C5/6 Walker
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddity View Post
    The difference is that no-one uses a bathroom stall for long at all, I'm not going to tell anyone off for using it, not like I do with people taking up a handicapped parking space, even if they do try to tell me theyre just popping into the store. I argue with them and try to make them feel guilty until they drive off.

Quote Originally Posted by Art454 View Post
    If they don't have a card or license plate I call the cops. Am so tired of seeing AB take advantage of that.
    i too have done that more than once
    T6 incomplete from MS and an aortic aneurysm surgery that went bad.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tarabev View Post
    The difference is that no-one uses a bathroom stall for long at all, I'm not going to tell anyone off for using it, not like I do with people taking up a handicapped parking space, even if they do try to tell me theyre just popping into the store. I argue with them and try to make them feel guilty until they drive off.
    Yeah, and the parking lot is also a safety issue for wheelchair users. Still, the more we enable the mentality that it's OK for ABs to use facilities clearly marked for folks needing accessibility, just because it's convenient, then the more it'll happen, and the more it happens, the worse off we are.

As someone that can't hold his pee for more than 90 seconds,or so, waiting for an AB (ESPECIALLY when there are plenty of other open stalls) is not something I appreciate. Since, as you say, stalls aren't in use for long (although ABs in the men stalls are usually dropping a deuce, which can take a while for some folks) that is a also a great reason they don't need to rush to the one accessible stall.

I'd prefer one fewer stall and take that space saved to make them all wide.
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

I have to agree with Triumph and his view's on the matter. I guess that would be the best approach by going directly to the front of the line to the handicapped stall. I can't believe someone would object if they were not handicapped. (I wouldn't want to do that to someone with a child though). I do wish I had an appropiate response to someone who is using the stall when there are others available but, choose's to use the handicapped one making me wait.
    Last edited by bigtop1; 12-20-2016 at 06:58 PM. Reason: additional thought
    I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.