Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCI Nurse - AD symptoms with lowered BP

SCI Nurse - AD symptoms with lowered BP

Hello, SCI Nurse,

Something weird is going on here. I'm having symptoms of AD (chilled feeling, sweating), but my blood pressure is far from elevated, it's way below normal (69/42 sitting, 79/50 laying in bed w/ head elevated.) I've had all the standard AD triggers (bowel, bladder, skin, etc.) checked, and they're fine. No fever. I called urologist's office, and doc on call said it didn't sound like UTI with no fever. Any ideas on what else can be checked, or what could cause this?

Hopefully, your answer will allow a caregiver to solve the problems here. If (heaven forbid) I have to go to the emergency room, what do I ask them to look for?

Thank you.
    Last edited by alan; 12-17-2016 at 07:01 PM.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

AD you would have an elevated BP
    your BP may be low if you are dehydrated
    what is your urine output?
    you could have a virus if not an infection

pbr

Blog Entries
    If you go to the ER, tell them your symptoms. Let them figure out what to look for.
    Tom

"Blessed are the pessimists, for they hath made backups." Exasperated 20:12

Denver, Colorado USA ---- C5/6 Complete 1985
    My BP is normally that low, even when using the standing table (not light headed). I get that tense, sweating feeling when there is pain (unfelt), usually bladder or bowels or skin pressure (butt, feet, etc). I often can't find the source, and have to wait it out, for a few hours anyway, until it goes away or the cause is discovered. Have you had these symptoms before? It sounds familiar. Depending on the severity and duration, you might have to go to an ER. You know your body better than anyone, but if it's internal, you might not figure it out.

If you aren't getting lots of clear urine, I agree that you should drink more water. I think I drink a lot, but it's still not enough sometimes (hmm, maybe that explains my low BP too).
    "The primary cause of unhappiness is never the situation but thought about it. Be aware of the thoughts you are thinking. Separate them from the situation, which is always neutral. It is as it is."
    --Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    AD you would have an elevated BP
    your BP may be low if you are dehydrated
    what is your urine output?
    you could have a virus if not an infection

pbr
    As it turns out, it was/is an infection. I went to urgent care after my last message post, they did a urine sample and found blood and leukocytes. They prescribed Macrobid, and by three days later, but this reflects the sensations and lower blood pressure were gone (in between, I had some periods of actual dysreflexia with blood pressure reflecting that, but more of the time the pressure was low. It was 66/43 sitting up at the urgent care.)

I shouldn't have been dehydrated, as I was drinking the same 2.5 to 3.5 L of water I drink every day. My urine was darker, but that was from the blood in the urine caused by the infection. With the Macrobid doing its thing, the urine is clear, even my sediment is greatly reduced (I hope it stays that way.) Urine output generally matches liquid input, though I do put out much more urine at night than during the day, due to higher BP while laying down.
    Alan

I'm resurrecting this message because strange things still go on with me. My blood pressure is take it twice a day, morning and night in bed with my head elevated. I sometimes get elevated blood pressure (145/92, 138/87, that kind of reading.) There is no sweating or chilled feeling during these times, and there are no bowel or bladder problems. For the most part in recent months, my blood pressure is at levels that would be considered normal for able-bodied people, without any dysreflexia symptoms.

In the chair, my pressure is lower when sitting up, of course.

I've spoken with my doctor, and he has no idea. I've asked him for a blood pressure medicine to take during those elevated times, but that request has gotten nowhere so far. I've made an appointment with him, but it's over a month away.
    Alan

alan if you are having both high and low blood pressure i would hesitate to take a blood pressure med. it sounds like you may have orthostatic hypotension. i would call the doctor and see if you can get an urgent appointment with him if your worried.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

Quote Originally Posted by TomRL View Post
    If you go to the ER, tell them your symptoms. Let them figure out what to look for.
    That is about the scariest thing you could possibly do. To let the emergency room try treating an SCI injury, its intricacies, interactions, AD and all the other nuances of the spinal cord injury, you need to help them out as much as you possibly can.

Have asked every doctor that is ever treated me how much training they got About spinal cord injuries in med school . Except for my Physiatrist the answer has been a universal "Part of one chapter In one book" out of all the books you read in medical school.

You need to rule things out to the best of your ability and make the best hypothesis, postulation, or some Rough diagnosis which you suspect so that they can rule in or out.

While you're in the emergency room you have the diagnostic equipment you need to rule things and around, think about all the bad things that they could do if you did not tell them "no" not "let them figure out."

E.g. they called a code on me, because my blood pressure was too high, had to stop them because my blood pressure crashed. Imagine what would happen if they put something in me to lower my blood pressure? At the very least, I would insist on a patch because you can't undo an IV or oral medication.

No matter how lousy you feel You must pay attention to what they're trying to do.

Alan, you should check your blood pressure in bed with your head flat, and then again when it is elevated. If you don't have a BP cuff, how is this being checked? You can purchase a decent digital BP cuff for less than $40.

Just repeating though, that it is not AD unless your blood pressure is elevated, generally 30-40 mmHg over your baseline systolic BP (the top or first number). So if your normal laying down blood pressure is 90/50, you really cannot say you are having AD until your systolic blood pressure is at least 130-140.

Infections, especially gram negative bacterial infections, can cause low blood pressure. Are you on any new meds? Changes in blood pressure can result as a side effect for many medications.

(KLD)

When I went to rehab they seem only concerned with my diastolic blood pressure and told me when it went above 90 to find out what was causing it and if it went over 120 to go straight to the ER.

Did I remember it incorrectly or is this a different situation?