Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird spots for pressure sores. Help?

Weird spots for pressure sores. Help?

OK, so I have these sores that are basically at the very top of my leg just under where my bottom connects to my legs. Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem, what they did to make it better, or if I'm just complete weirdo.

Those are over your sitting bones (ischiums)...the most common place for seating pressure ulcers in people with SCI. How long have you had them? Are you sitting? On what? How deep are they? What are you doing for them now?

(KLD)

Hi Jedi, I have not experience a pressure sore there. However I have had sores before. I am a T-10 para and had a sore on my back side. I tried all kinds of high dollar dressings with silver and so forth. However I had the best luck by far with Medihoney. It's very affordable and has the natural healing power of honey. You can get it at any online medical supply company. If you have difficulty finding it just private message me. Good luck, Nick Mireles

Hi jedikimgirl, that is actually a pretty common place to develop pressure sores - the so-called "sitting bones" (technical term: ischial tuberosities) are located there, and they bear a lot of weight while sitting. I can't advise you on how to treat ischial pressure sores, but just wanted to ease your mind about being weird - you're definitely not!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Hi jedikimgirl, that is actually a pretty common place to develop pressure sores - the so-called "sitting bones" (technical term: ischial tuberosities) are located there, and they bear a lot of weight while sitting. I can't advise you on how to treat ischial pressure sores, but just wanted to ease your mind about being weird - you're definitely not!
    I guess it wasn't totally clear from my drawing, but they're actually well below my sitting bones! We're just at a loss as to explain their existence.

Quote Originally Posted by jedikimgirl View Post
    I guess it wasn't totally clear from my drawing, but they're actually well below my sitting bones! We're just at a loss as to explain their existence.
    Oh, I see! I don't know about what could be causing sores in those locations - unless there are wrinkles/seams in your clothes or cushion exerting pressure on those areas. I have a friend who developed a pressure sore on her tailbone from a thick seam in her pajama pants - probably not the same kind of issue you're having, but just a thought.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Is that where the edge of the toilet seat hits? Could you be spending too long on the toilet? Are they actually pressure sores or shear spots. I once sat on a toilet seat that had sharp edges that took off my skin.
    C5/C6

Can you post photos or send them to the SCI-Nurse to review?? The area you indicate is actually right over the ischiums.

(KLD)

What do you sit and lay on? Type of cushion and bed?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    I'd had sores in nursing homes that finally got well. When I got some later, at home, I knew the drill. I knew what had gone wrong. And I knew what I needed. First, I needed a Roho cushion for my wheelchair. I got one. I needed diapers with a cloth 'feel'...not the horrible plastic-backed, death-trap diapers I'd first received. And third. I had to make sure that every single time I scooted or transferred, my skin was protected by either the diaper or a soft 'chuck', so that the vulnerable wet skin never had to confront hostile, textured plastic when scooting. I even started pulling my diaper tighter on the left side than the right to protect my most vulnerable spot. So mine had been caused by a combination of dampness, pressure and, as 47+years said, shearing. After I got my cloth-feel diapers, Rojo cushion, and started constantly padding with disposable 'chucks' when scooting, I stopped creating sores. Our poor little bottoms. They really have a hard life with SCI.
    Female, T9 incomplete