Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: well now almost 4 years after the hysterectomy my right ovary has to go

well now almost 4 years after the hysterectomy my right ovary has to go

you heard it right i go in for removal of a mass on my right ovary on dec 21st. surgeon said the mass is huge at 7x7 cm something. it's funny because i have had no symptoms typical of a cyst on the ovary or anything no pain that i can tell anyway and no autonomic issues like i had in the past. i have been having some hot flashes and nausea and diahrrea but nothing unusual since i also have stomach issues which can cause the nausea and diahrrea. and he hasn't called this a cyst he has said a mass so i am a bit scared at what this may be. hopefully i can keep the other ovary and just loose the 1. but he said he would make that determination in the OR. he is planning do to do it laproscopically but may need to do it openly. so in the mean time i have 3 appointments i have to go to before the surgery 1 with the hematologist cardiologist and my gp. i have also let my pulmologist know as well. so she may want to do lung function tests before as well.
    T6 Incomplete due to a Spinal cord infarction July 2009

So sorry to hear this, Smashms. I guess the surgeon has to call it a mass at this point, because prior to a biopsy he can't know for certain whether it's a simple cyst or not. I wish you a good surgical result and swift recovery, and nerves as calm as possible prior to operation.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

My sister in law went in for a 9lb mass on an ovary ... they opened her up and found nothing ... now she is having trouble healing the incision because she is diabetic! So frustrating.

Good luck and hope it goes smoothly.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

i hope that doesn't happen lynnifer! however i have seen it on ultrasound so i know it is there. and it is the same ovary they said it was on about 2 years ago but when they did an ultrasound they found nothing.

I just had all my girly bits taken or Wed. All except for my left ovary. They left that one and just laser removed the cysts. Did it by laparoscopy. Came home from hospital yesterday. I'm having difficulty getting my bowel back on track. I figured I would because of the bowel prep pre surgery. Good luck.

my bowel has been wonky for months now! they are thinking it has been this way now because of the size of the mass. same with the constant nausea. so we will see. hematologist said the other day my numbers are the best she has seen in the last year! so i was glad to get those results!! and she did give me the go ahead as far as she was concerned for surgery, just have cardiology and primary to go then the surgery on the 21st.

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    When I had my hysterectomy, about two decades ago, I was an anomaly because I wanted to keep my ovaries if at all possible. Back then, women didn't negotiate over this. They just handed themselves over to those who "know what to do". My doctor didn't tell me that I had to sign off on letting her take out everything, until the day before the surgery. She explained that, if my ovaries were bad, she couldn't wake me up to get my consent. Made sense. The next day after surgery, she was happy to inform me that I'd kept both ovaries. I wasn't SCI back then. Surgeries as an SCI must cause even more stress than for non-SCI ladies. How are you smashms? Medic 1?
    Female, T9 incomplete

well right now i am a nervous wreck! surgery is wednesday all in all i guess i am grateful i don't feel much pain down there. i do feel a bit of pressure. and this isn't the first surgery i have had since i was SCI as my original hysterectomy was because of SCI issues. during my cycle i would bleed for weeks and have severe low blood pressure issues, to the point i was in bed for half the month. so i know what i am going into per say. i am more scared about the possibility of cancer than i am about the actual surgery. i know it will take longer since i have had several surgeries in my abdomen area so he will have to go thru tons of scar tissue. i also know i will not have much pain afterwards per say but will have blood pressure issues and that's all normal for me. i had my last pre op appointment today with my cardiologist. all is good as far as he can tell, he said if need be his office was always on call should my surgeon need them. as did my hematologist office i have anemia as well both B12 and iron deficient so i go and get B12 shots monthly as well as iron infusions when needed we monitor all results every 3 months. so when i went to her the beginning of the month for my monthly visit she said my numbers were the best she has seen in years.

My thoughts are with you - may you have an excellent postop result and report!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Quote Originally Posted by medic1 View Post
    I just had all my girly bits taken or Wed. All except for my left ovary. They left that one and just laser removed the cysts. Did it by laparoscopy. Came home from hospital yesterday. I'm having difficulty getting my bowel back on track. I figured I would because of the bowel prep pre surgery. Good luck.
    In Canada, they don't let you leave the hospital until your bowel is functioning normally. That seems odd. Hope you're better now?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12