Thread: windows 7

windows 7

im using windows 7 and it hasnt updated since july and when i try to update it it just says checking for updates
    to alcohol the cause of-and solution to-all of lifes problems [homer simpson]

Did you try a restart

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    im using windows 7 and it hasnt updated since july and when i try to update it it just says checking for updates
    I too have a win7 computer that hasn't been updated since April 30th 2016. It has been turned off and on multiple times since then, even today. So I checked, it just cranks out the message: checking for updates. Belarc said there were 143 updates available, whatever that meant. On further inspection I see I am on install automatically. Maybe 7 is the new xp.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

Starting in October 2016, MS changed the way they deliver updates/patches for Win7/8/8.1:

Further simplifying servicing models for Windows 7 and Windows 8.1

There is a way to get "just" the security part of that monthly rollup, instead of both the security + performance bits. But it involves more work for the user to manually d/l and install the "security-only" rollup each month.
    That's up to the individual user, just as it is up to the user whether to take "recommended" and "optional" patches.

The days of 15, 20 or more patches per month are gone.
    This is part of the "Windows As A Service" model already in place for Win10.
    There are both upsides and downsides to this, of course.
    But it is what MS decided to do.

>>> It's still important to take AT LEAST the security bits of each month's rollup, both for Windows and for your other MS programs, such as Office.

i tried the restart it doesnt help il try the link i cant get anything from the link either no updates just explains stuff im not real computer literate i guess my update days are over

Quote Originally Posted by nonoise View Post
    I too have a win7 computer that hasn't been updated since April 30th 2016. It has been turned off and on multiple times since then, even today. So I checked, it just cranks out the message: checking for updates. Belarc said there were 143 updates available, whatever that meant. On further inspection I see I am on install automatically. Maybe 7 is the new xp.
    im on install automatuc too but when i view recent instals it says last check for updates was july and thats when it last updates

Where I work we use Windows 7 in our SOE and there are no plans for Windows 10. I would wait for Microsoft to dump NT and go over to FreeBSD and Harmon.ie Mainsoft.

Apple transitioned with OS X. GNU/Linux has WINE. It's way past the time NT should have taken out back and shot. 1940s technology is New Technology according to Micro-Soft.

I have a Windows 7 VM I use very sparingly. The reason for VM is it will discard any changes. I only allow changes if I am installing something on it.

It always breaks and is hard to fix. Very hard to find info on the Internet to fix it.

If it hurts then stop doing it.

Considered Mac, Chromebook, iDevice, Pixel, etc.?

It is worst effort and designed to break

Quote Originally Posted by wheelin 48 View Post
    im on install automatuc too but when i view recent instals it says last check for updates was july and thats when it last updates
    You got Windows so just take it. It is way too hard for most users to fix so do not repeat the error with your next purchase.

Apple Mac, iPad, Google Chrome book and Pixel. If you can read documentation then GNU/Linux, FreeBSD or some Unix. Unix has man pages which describe everything.

The alternative is pen and bits of paper.

Windows devices are of no intrinsic value unless they can be made to run GNU/Linux or some other OS as they are of no use whatsoever whilst they run Windows.