Thread: Nurses limits vs patients

Nurses limits vs patients

I just went through my 5th surgery
    I self cath because I have a neurogenic bladder. The nurse and I hit it off from the beginning.
    Very nice conversation, she was very attractive and was very attentive.
    although she knew I didn't need help, she offered more then once to help. I was kind enough to refuse.
    i don't know where or when a line is crossed.
    i certainly think she meant to cross any lines but just looking for opinions.

I've either broken every vertebra, had a fusion done or had screws(hardware)from T-8 down to L-2.
    On 11/28/16 laminectomy L-2/L-3, 3 level fusion(revision fusion T-12/L-1) rods placed from T-11 through L-1 approx. 6 screws
    02/14/11 lamy at L-1/L-2, foraminotomy at L-3/L-4 , protrusion at L5/S-1
    04/20/07 failed removal of Harrington rods left with permanent nerve damage
    09/15/85 f/x t8 thru t-11, fusion at t-9/t-10, 1 1/2" bruse on cord

If the nurse is crossing boundaries in the nurse-patient relationship, you should say so to her, and if it continues, ask to speak to her supervisor. Such behavior is unethical, and in some instances, illegal, and could put her license at risk. It may be that she just is not used to having a patient with such as severe disability who is actually so independent, but your radar should be alerted.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    If the nurse is crossing boundaries in the nurse-patient relationship, you should say so to her, and if it continues, ask to speak to her supervisor. Such behavior is unethical, and in some instances, illegal, and could put her license at risk. It may be that she just is not used to having a patient with such as severe disability who is actually so independent, but your radar should be alerted.

(KLD)
    SCI-nurse. You might be right. She thought she was doing right. I'm no longer there discharged over the weekend. I certainly don't want to get anyone I trouble.

I've either broken every vertebra, had a fusion done or had screws(hardware)from T-8 down to L-2.
    On 11/28/16 laminectomy L-2/L-3, 3 level fusion(revision fusion T-12/L-1) rods placed from T-11 through L-1 approx. 6 screws
    02/14/11 lamy at L-1/L-2, foraminotomy at L-3/L-4 , protrusion at L5/S-1
    04/20/07 failed removal of Harrington rods left with permanent nerve damage
    09/15/85 f/x t8 thru t-11, fusion at t-9/t-10, 1 1/2" bruse on cord

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    I will venture to suggest a possibility. The nurse may have been trying to prove how professional and 'comfortable' she was in working with people disabilities, even those of the opposite sex. If so, then her effort was misguided. I just happen to see the humor in this possibility.

In my case, I'm female and have spasticity. Most nurses absolutely HATED having to cath me.