Thread: Chances

Chances

What are the chances that a complete paraplegic could regain function? What should I look for if so?

What is your current level of injury? Regaining function is a broad term. Exactly what function are you expecting to regain?

All the best,
    GJ

Paraplegic from my T3 ...I'm just hoping to walk again, God willing

When was your injury? Were you AIS A upon injury? Still AIS A at 3 months post injury? Most return, if it is going to occur, happens in the first three months. After that additional smaller incremental return can occur for 2 years or more, but is unlikely to occur if you did not have any return of either motor or sensory function in the first 3 months.

(KLD)

May 15 of this year ...what is AIS?

AIS = ASIA Impairment Scale (A, B, C, D, or E) which is a scale of completeness of injury as determined after assessment using the International Standards for Neurological Classification of Spinal Cord Injury (ISNCSCI, formerly called the ASIA exam).

Those who have incomplete injuries have a better chance of getting return. Your injury should be listed as your level of injury (LOI) and the degree of completeness, for example, C6 AIS B, or T10 AIS A, or C3 AIS D.

(KLD)

Glad you found CareCure - it's a good place to get information and explore topics with others who have similar experiences.
    Sorry to hear of your accident, as noted in your profile. It's so soon since your injury and probably many questions come up.
    Wondering if you have physical therapy, and are working on ADL (activities of daily living) to become as independent as possible.

Texas USA, female ************** T9 incomplete
    NaniB, are you able to get from the bed to your wheelchair by yourself? ...and back into bed by yourself? This is an important milestone for living independently. My injury is T9 incomplete, but in my case, "incomplete" just means that I have a little 'feeling', not useful movement. I can just barely move a couple of my toes in a downward direction. I'm glad that I can do that, but it isn't really useful, especially since I can't pull them back up again. Keep going with learning the skills that will allow you to take care of yourself. This will be immensely important if ever there is a lapse in your services, as when changing from one home health care agency to another.
    Female, T9 incomplete