Thread: Best device for hospital use

Blog Entries

Best device for hospital use

Can anyone advise me on the best thing to get to be able to be somewhat technically functional, fully by voice, in the hospital short-term?

= Most important to me is to be able to dictate things that I then will be able to upload to my computer easily.
    = It might then be nice to also be able to hook into the hospital Wi-Fi.
    = If I manage that, then it might be nice to have something on a stand that I can see (because I can?t really hold my phone).
    = But I want it to be something cheap that I don?t fear getting stolen.
    = It has to be full of voice operable ? like it?s lying next to me and I just can talk to it.

1. Figuring out how to email myself from my Motorola Moto X might solve everything, but I haven?t yet figured that out. I know I have promised to share what I have figured out, which I will do, but if anyone already knows how I can open an email from there and dictate to it and send it, I would appreciate learning.

2. Would a tablet like device be better? Or something that looks like a Surface Pro, with the stand?

Sorry, I?m getting lost in the weeds. Can anyone see what I need and offer suggestions? The main point is full voice function, and dictating text that I easily can export somehow.
    Last edited by Random; 12-03-2016 at 09:40 AM. Reason: font size mysteries

an iPad now they have siri on them as well and there are dictation apps you can download
    T6 incomplete from MS and an aortic aneurysm surgery that went bad.

For your needs an iPad will not work unless you use a mouth stick with a Pogo pen. I would also consider the Google Pixel C Tablet. Right now the reviews have not been to stellar for this device. However, the Pixel smart phone is off to a good start. The Microsoft Surface should allow you to run Dragon NaturallySpeaking or Windows 10 built-in speech dictation and Cortana.
    Rock bottom is relative to how high you bounce when you hit.
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    Can anyone advise me on the best thing to get to be able to be somewhat technically functional, fully by voice, in the hospital short-term?

= Most important to me is to be able to dictate things that I then will be able to upload to my computer easily.
    = It might then be nice to also be able to hook into the hospital Wi-Fi.
    = If I manage that, then it might be nice to have something on a stand that I can see (because I can?t really hold my phone).
    = But I want it to be something cheap that I don?t fear getting stolen.
    = It has to be full of voice operable ? like it?s lying next to me and I just can talk to it.

1. Figuring out how to email myself from my Motorola Moto X might solve everything, but I haven?t yet figured that out. I know I have promised to share what I have figured out, which I will do, but if anyone already knows how I can open an email from there and dictate to it and send it, I would appreciate learning.

2. Would a tablet like device be better? Or something that looks like a Surface Pro, with the stand?

Sorry, I?m getting lost in the weeds. Can anyone see what I need and offer suggestions? The main point is full voice function, and dictating text that I easily can export somehow.
    Not sure what Moto X you have but the steps are pretty generic.

You also can buy smart phone stands that will also hold a tablet and use the voice controls like Siri or Google now or Google assistant to do you commands.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-Ge...3D322096082765

I would look at something small like an iPad mini small easy to store and light weight.

New $270, reburb $169.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iPad-Air-min...mDj3SPRMVO139A

Add a 10' charge cable gives you enough room to keep it plugged in.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-iPhone-6-5s-SE-Lightning-USB-Data-Cable-Charger-10-ft-/331934420025?
    hash=item4d48d54c39:g:~YUAAOSwHoFXqjqI

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-6-10FT-STR...OVSSQe6ZIjKkYw

Quote Originally Posted by PN View Post
    For your needs an iPad will not work unless you use a mouth stick with a Pogo pen. I would also consider the Google Pixel C Tablet. Right now the reviews have not been to stellar for this device. However, the Pixel smart phone is off to a good start. The Microsoft Surface should allow you to run Dragon NaturallySpeaking or Windows 10 built-in speech dictation and Cortana.
    Very curious why you say an iPad would not work?