Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to get current MS Office

Blog Entries

Best way to get current MS Office

on my computer I have some older version of Office. When I was in rehab I bought office 365, and it was faster and cleaner, and I found a few little nifty easier things that I guy you used to using.. By it seems I only just somehow wise renting that? I just want a pretty current version of office to use as it is, mine in for good, without updates coming in messing things up.

I feel like I?ve heard that there are different sources of office, maybe they?re called open source. Can someone educate me?

For some reason I can?t see my screen very well, so I?m sure there are Dragon relics in that post to ask you to indulge.

Office 365 is rental only. You have to buy it every year.
    LibreOffice is free and pretty good.

or - Google Docs
    Star Office was good but doesn't get good support any more - being eclipsed by LibreOffice which comes bundled with Ubuntu Linux

The Star Office source code is the basis for both OpenOffice and LibreOffice. The former is owned by Oracle (after Sun was purchased by Oracle) while the latter is still a fully open source community project. LibreOffice branched off because many people felt that Oracle wouldn't keep OpenOffice "open."

If it was me I would buy https://www.microsoftstore.com/store...fice_ModO_HS16

Its 120 bucks, no subscription like 365. Google Docs and LibreOffice are okay, but MS Office is still better.

The 365 subscriptions are for five computers at home and I'm constantly switching between computers including Macs and windows and Linux. Have to settle for Libre on Linux though.

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to go with the Microsoft store. I live a simple life.

Does anyone know how to address add-ins for Dragon? Will it come with them just in and working? I’ll post about this for real after I get it, but any advice now that would affect my download?

LibreOffice and Google are better than MS Office

Quote Originally Posted by garvey View Post
    or - Google Docs
    Star Office was good but doesn't get good support anymore - being eclipsed by LibreOffice which comes bundled with Ubuntu Linux
    The Star Office devs have gone over to LibreOffice. LibreOffice has better Microsoft import filters and is faster as they have reduced the slow dumb and stupid Java dependency. It can also update minor versions if installed as a user. I use the Debian packaged Writer. I use Gnumeric for sheets.

Debian has Google Chrome which adds Google's deb repository. I use that with the Drive I got when my laptop was still a Chrome book.

The best way to rent software is with a cloud solution. For example rent Gmail domain hosting and Drive. To make this work Google provide Chrome HTML-5 client. Docs, Sheets and Slides.

1. Someone at Google takes care of upgrades and backups for you.

2. When you work on a document at one location your changes are saved on Drive.

3. When you log in on another machine at another location your changes are there.

4. You are always using the same application version.

5. You are only pushing changes over the network. Only changes to the page you have modified are pulled down.

Compare Apple's cloud offering.

You install iWork Pages, Numbers and/or Key Note on each device. This allows you to work off-line.

You must push the morbidly corpulent Office files to the cloud when you save.

You have to update apps on each device so that they are all current.

Depends on what you do. I bought a chromebook and found it difficult to deal with only google docs. Excel is better at complex formulas and if you have a job and work with other people who use office then using google docs is not an option. Also the HTML5/javascript microsoft word equivalent in google docs is often slow and buggy for large files. Hnads down PowerPoint is better than either the Libra or Google Docs offering.

Office is like going to the dentist, it kinda sucks but is a necessary evil if you live in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by zagam View Post
    The Star Office devs have gone over to LibreOffice. LibreOffice has better Microsoft import filters and is faster as they have reduced the slow dumb and stupid Java dependency. It can also update minor versions if installed as a user. I use the Debian packaged Writer. I use Gnumeric for sheets.

Debian has Google Chrome which adds Google's deb repository. I use that with the Drive I got when my laptop was still a Chrome book.

The best way to rent software is with a cloud solution. For example rent Gmail domain hosting and Drive. To make this work Google provide Chrome HTML-5 client. Docs, Sheets and Slides.

1. Someone at Google takes care of upgrades and backups for you.

2. When you work on a document at one location your changes are saved on Drive.

3. When you log in on another machine at another location your changes are there.

4. You are always using the same application version.

5. You are only pushing changes over the network. Only changes to the page you have modified are pulled down.

Compare Apple's cloud offering.

You install iWork Pages, Numbers and/or Key Note on each device. This allows you to work off-line.

You must push the morbidly corpulent Office files to the cloud when you save.

You have to update apps on each device so that they are all current.

LOL - great analogy. MS Office is the business standard. I was lucky enough to get 2013 and then 2016 at bargain basement price thru companies I worked for even though I was only a contractor!