Thread: Exercise question

Exercise question

I have a table top hand bike that I can do for about an hour. I use it to burn calories and try to lose some weight. My question is, would it be better to do less resistance at a faster speed in that 1 hour, or more resistance at a slower speed? Or does it not really matter?
    Thanks

Best way is to use a heart rate monitor to ensure your heart rate is in the proper zone for burning calories.

Couple of comments. When I used arm ergometer regularly I would do both resistance and "free wheel". Someone with more knowledge can tell you, but for me, it felt like the free wheel setting got my heart rate up, then the resistance setting felt like my muscles were being worked. This can be done during a given workout or one day free wheel, the next day resistance. Or whatever.

It's great that you can do it for an hour! It seems the free-wheel setting would be great for calorie-burning.
    I used a finger pulse/oximeter to check my heart rate and oxygenation. ($50 bucks or less on Amazon).

My problem is that it's nearly impossible to get my heart rate up into my pre injury cardio zone. My max heart rate pre injury was 190 BPM but now cracking 125 BPM is almost impossible.

The reason you can't get the heart rate up is that you are using a short stroke table model. It's working a very small part of your body in a small circle vs an exercise machine that has a longer stroke or one that uses more muscle groups. A heart rate monitor would greatly enhance the workout on the bike.

That's the beauty of a heart rate monitor. You see exactaully what the hr is and if you're in the proper zone for what you're working on by adjusting the tension to reach the target rate There's nothing wrong with a table top. Using it with a monitor, you'll be much more efficient in your goals and a great motivator to continue.

Main thing is don't quit!
    Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 12-04-2016 at 12:50 AM.

I had 1 used it burn 500 calories a day with helped my arm but it froze up here in florida great way to exercise and read too

To the best of my ability, I mix it up as much as possible with exercise. I do this for two reasons. First, to prevent boredom with the same thing. Second, Different patterns cause different responses from the body. For example, one day fast, the next day slower, then on the third day both fast and slow in one workout. So far as weight loss, that seems to be mostly diet related, which is a completely different ball of wax! All the best with your workouts

I agree with MobilityPaul about mixing it up. More resistance will build muscle and depending on your frame, you may not want that. So if you vary your resistance levels, than you can get the cardio going and just keep the muscles you have defined.

Also, if you can buy some TheraBands, you could also develop routines to get your cardio racing. There are some videos on Youtube showing exercises using TheraBands.

To get your heart rate up, try this aerobic video. I find it works well because you can manage the intensity level. Watch the introduction section once to get all the requisite instructions and warnings, and then in the future you can skip directly to the second section (the aerobic video). I like that they have some people in the video at different injury levels, so you can find the person who looks to be close to your injury level and then follow how they tackle the particular exercise.
    http://info.kaiserpermanente.org/fac...resistance.xml

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyFan View Post
    To get your heart rate up, try this aerobic video. I find it works well because you can manage the intensity level. Watch the introduction section once to get all the requisite instructions and warnings, and then in the future you can skip directly to the second section (the aerobic video). I like that they have some people in the video at different injury levels, so you can find the person who looks to be close to your injury level and then follow how they tackle the particular exercise.
    http://info.kaiserpermanente.org/fac...resistance.xml
    Nice video. Kaiser did a good job.