Thread: I'm A Returning Member With Additional Spinal Issues From Levels C1 to T1 Incomplete

Post I'm A Returning Member With Additional Spinal Issues From Levels C1 to T1 Incomplete

Hello everybody, my original story of how I had initially got injured can be found at this link here http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...rofibromatosis

I have taken a long break to work on my rehabilitation and to get my own personal issues sorted out. Well back in February 14, 2014. I had to get a second operation near the same area as my first surgery. I had a tumor debulked (partially removed) a tumor at level C2, it' too risky to remove the whole thing but my neurosurgeon was able to remove most of it without causing me too much harm. But I was set back for two years and now I am doing way better. I can stand for 5-10 minutes in my platform walker while wearing my leg braces. I can walk 25 to 30 feet with it and a spotter. My left arm has regained a little more movement but it's still a dead-weight pretty much. My right arm (I'm right handed thank goodness) has enough functionality where I can feed myself and brush my teeth once my care takers set up everything for me. I have muscle spasms like crazy, my both my knees hyper extend. I have a rigorous 2 or 3 days out of the week 2hr home exercise program. Until I can return to outpatient physical and occupational therapy in May of 2017. My insurance company only allows 18-24 visits per calendar year.

But now on to my new injury resulting from my genetic disability progressing. I have scoliosis in my cervical spine. Notice in the photo that I had attached from my MRI how the discs has a curve shape of the letter "D" when it's supposed to have the curve shape of the letter "C". I've attached a 'normal' cervical MRI of the spinal cord for comparison. I had a posterior C1 cervical laminectomy and foraminotomy, C2 and C3 laminectomy to relieve pressure off of my spinal cord and the nerve roots there. And a cervical re-fusion from levels C1 to C7 and I had pressure alleviated off of my C8 & T1 nerve roots. And I had also had a lot of scar tissue removed from my first operation. Resulting in me having incomplete injuries all over the place from C1 to T1.

I other than this I have been well, and I'm loving the new form make-over. And thank you Moderators and Administrators for holding on to my account after being absent for about two years was the last time I browsed through here but I didn't post anything, I highly appreciate it. And I'm back now!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Injured October 2nd, 2009. C5 incomplete ASIA C
    C2-C3 fusion, C4, C5, C6 and C7 laminectomy.
    And after another operation on February 14th 2014, I am now C1 to T1 incomplete ASIA C, with C5 incomplete neurological function at ASIA C.
    C1 foraminotomy, C1, C2, C3 laminectomy, scar tissue removal from C3 to C7, nerve root decompression of C7 and C8 and a Cervical Re-fusion. All due to a gradually worsening genetic disorder that I have and the other collateral complications that comes along with it.

Welcome back and bravo on your diligence of keeping at your rehab

pbr

I agree with SCI nurse... welcome back and I also have extreme scoliosis which was only made worse after the PT and the OT did not suggest (during my wheelchair evaluation in 2011) that I have lateral also supports when they could have. As they were still making adjustments to my new chair my husband passed away in life since then has been pure hell.

Thanks for the great images you provided!

I wish you the very best!

Welcome back Randy