Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone had ankle fusion for drop foot?

Question Anyone had ankle fusion for drop foot?

On October 20th I had ankle fusion on my foot for drop foot I've had since my SCI from my car accident on July 2002. My doctor told me that I should be able to walk normally after about 6 months without anyone noticing my limp I had from my SCI. He also said he has seen some patients get back to light running as well. My question is has anyone who walked after their SCI here had this procedure done? How was your outcome? Did you have normal gait? Were you able to run?

Picture of my operation
    Last edited by mj23; 12-02-2016 at 02:56 PM.
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

I recommend having the operation if you have that option. Worked well for me. I can't quiet run, but I am walking without braces for the first time in six years.

I had the surgery already.
    Do you look normal when you walk? No limp? N what do you mean you can't quiet run?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Close to normal gait, legs to far gone to run.

Can people notice you were injured?

I hadn't thought about it, I guess I think I'm doing better than I really am. Wife was honest and said I still look stiff or sore. It's not comfortable, but I'm not complaining. I'm a bit aged, happy to have the function over form.

lonecoaster, is the discomfort less than it was when you had braces, even though it's not 100% relieved? I'm really glad to read that you're able to walk without braces, that's a major improvement in terms of function, as you say.

Here's wishing you an excellent result, mj23!
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Thank you Bonnette.

Lonecoatser, what does your wife mean you look stiff and sore? Your foot or the way you walk?

Hello Bonnette, I was walking on the outside edges of my feet in or out of a brace. I wasn't able to do either because of sores. The Doctor said he'd see about getting me in to Mayo. I lucked out and got accepted. They did a Calcaneal Osteotomy, rewire a tendon from the working side and now my foot lays pretty much flat. It's helped a lot. I not sure the discomfort is different, I have to admit I had more power and endurance with the braces. Without the braces I have less lower back, joint issues.

It all started with a pair of Black Diamond walking sticks Thanks Bonette