Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cures Now Act passes House

Quote Originally Posted by paolocipolla View Post
    So you are supporting this because you are involved in it and you rained on the other one because they left you out?

In my opinion one of the reasons SCI research does not have more support is because some people behave as people can see in the thread I quoted rather that keep in mind we are all in the same boat here.

You are an old man in a relevant position.. try to be wiser my friend.

No comment about Grammy.
    My support is because it is a better piece of legislation. There is a fix although short in time for complex rehabilitation equipment (wheelchair reimbursement). It benefits the SCI population. You have complained about lack of research in the US and there is an increase for that. If you want to complain why don't you actually do something positive. Don't just sit on the sidelines.

Yes I am old at 65 but I still push for issues relevant to the SCI population including cure.

Again three people havve asked you about Italy and your efforts. Want to answer ?

Blog Entries
    I think if I were an Italian citizen I would be trying to focus on anything but Italy too Paolo. Sorry about how sad things are in your country.

• Senate takes up bill less than a week after House approval
    • President Obama urges lawmakers to approve measure
    By Jeannie Baumann
    (BNA) -- The 21st Century Cures legislation has cleared a key legislative hurdle that will allow the Senate to complete its work on the biomedical innovation bill as early as Dec. 6.
    The Senate voted 85-13 Dec. 5 to invoke cloture, or limit debate on the bill and move forward on voting for H.R. 34.
    The action by the Senate marks a critical step toward enacting the wide-ranging health bill (H.R. 34) in the final days of the 114th Congress. President Barack Obama said Dec. 3 he would sign the bill “as soon as it reaches my desk,” culminating a project Reps. Fred Upton (R-Mich) and Diana DeGette (D-Colo.) began nearly three years ago to spur new medical treatments. Many consider Cures to be Upton's legacy legislation as he steps down as chairman of the House Energy and Commerce Committee at the end of the year.
    “Just as it is for us who knew that this was so important, we also knew that the clock was ticking,” Upton said at a Dec. 5 press conference prior to the cloture vote. “The vote this afternoon at 5:30 will really be critical because we are all passionate about this.”
    The Senate opened debate on Cures less than a week after the House passed H.R. 34 by a 392-26 vote. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) called Cures “one of the most important bills we'll pass this year” in a Dec. 5 floor speech.
    “It's not hard to see why,” McConnell said. “It's legislation that can have an impact on each of our states and on each of our constituents.”
    Cures encompasses a wide-reaching legislative package to advance biomedical innovation, reform mental health care and issue $1 billion in state grants to fight opioid abuse. The bill includes $4.8 billion in funding for the National Institutes of Health over 10 years to fund White House-level initiatives in precision medicine, the cancer moonshot and brain research, along with $500 million for the Food and Drug Administration.
    There is also language designed to improve the nation's electronic health records system. The legislative package is part of an amendment introduced in an already passed bill that would strengthen the nation's tsunami warning system.
    Obama Bats for Cures in Weekly Address
    Two days before the Senate proceedings vote, Obama focused his weekly address on the Cures legislation.
    “On the first day of my administration, I promised to restore science to its rightful place. I told you we would unleash American innovation and technology to tackle the health challenges of our time,” Obama said. “Right now we have the chance to put our best minds to work one more time—and in a big way.”
    “[L]ike a lot of you, I've lost people I love to cancer. I hear every day from Americans whose loved ones are suffering from addiction and other debilitating diseases,” Obama said Dec. 3. “And I believe we should seize every chance we have to find cures as soon as possible.”
    Sen. Lamar Alexander (R-Tenn.), chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee, highlighted the bipartisan nature of moving Cures through the Senate and noted all negotiations on the bill have been worked out on the front end. “The next Congress will not be repealing this law.”

The Cures Act passed through the Senate today with a 94-5 vote and would provide $6.3 billion spread out over 10 year to medical research and the FDA.

Link

I think its good news and what about the SCI research?

Quote Originally Posted by lampros View Post
    I think its good news and what about the SCI research?
    Same question
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

I should probably add, it's my understanding that the funding is also contingent upon annual renewals each year.

It isn t very clear more details are usefull, if you can...

I also read that when both parties can't agree on the budget some things might not get fully funded in the appropriation bill that year but hope they do it because it is a bipartisan bill

Quote Originally Posted by lampros View Post
    It isn't very clear more details are useful, if you can...
    LINK