Thread: All-Terrain Adaptive Electric Bike/ATV (Outrider for Hunting, Riding, Hiking)

All-Terrain Adaptive Electric Bike/ATV (Outrider for Hunting, Riding, Hiking)

Hi all,

We've been working on an adaptive all-terrain vehicle for the past 3 years, since our Kickstarter campaign that was initiated in the spring of 2014. The initial and primary goal was to develop a bike that quadriplegic riders can pilot. We worked with Chris Wenner out of Tucson, AZ to develop the controls, and then we designed a full suspension, long range electric vehicle platform to support a wide variety of adaptations. Chris was the impetus behind the project, he reached out to us in late 2013 to ask us if we'd partner with him to bring a bike to production that quads can ride.

We recently finished the first production Outrider Horizon 220T and it's currently in route to its owner in Ireland, which was a huge landmark for us. Here are some photos of that setup:

Here are some photos that show how the controls work:

We're working with UC Davis and UNCA to develop hand joystick and chin-joystick (quadstick) controls. We're also internally finishing development work on our handcycle configuration.

The overall idea is to create a super-modular platform (on and offroad versions) that users can customize for a wide variety of body types/disabilities (single sided controls, joysticks, handcycle, leg power, remote controls, gyro controls, etc) and applications (hunting without range limitations, hiking, mountain biking, road biking, cross country touring, overlanding with solar charging capability, commuting with the ability to keep up with the flow of traffic, etc). We also worked hard to eliminate the limitations that are often a stumbling block with electric vehicles (range, speed, power, charge times). Our vehicles can now be configured for over 100 miles of range, up to 45 mph in some configurations, up to 6 horsepower, and charge times at less than an hour per pack on a standard 110V outlet.

Here's a video of the Horizon (leg power configuration) in action:

We just did a great trail ride with Johnny (para) and Justin (incomp. quad) riding the Horizons, we'll post that video after the editing is done.

We are a small company (5 people) and we welcome your feedback. We never want to do development work in a vacuum. I hope this thread is a place where you can share what you'd love to see developed, and offer feedback on what's already been developed, and also play a role in current development, and share your experience with our vehicles.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
    Tommy and the Outrider USA Team

Would be very interested if it fit my 6'4" frame. I've been wanting something like this for years. Of course if it has hand/joystick controls and footplates rather than pedals!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    Would be very interested if it fit my 6'4" frame. I've been wanting something like this for years. Of course if it has hand/joystick controls and footplates rather than pedals!
    Northquad,

6' 4" is no problem, the Horizon can handle riders up to about 6' 8". If you have pretty good control of your shoulder/bicep/tricep on at least one arm, the tripin setup (pictured) would be the way to go. The joystick setup will need a couple more iterations before it's ready for production, and is more costly.

Send us an email at info@outriderusa.com if you'd like to talk through the details of what you'd like to build up.

Cheers,
    Tommy

Also, I just noticed that you're in Alberta. It turns out that Discovery Canada is going to do a piece on the Horizon on their Daily Planet show on the week of December 5th, keep your eyes peeled for it!

Cheers,
    Tommy

I'd be interested to see what you come up with for controls for high level quads, head buttons don't work as you bounce so much off road, head steering controls have same problem and typically non proportional, Switch it system is proportional but the spring tension is high and once again terrain induced bouncing is a problem. You won't be able to use hydraulic brakes either. Steering needs to give feedback as to its position to slightly slow things down as you turn. I've been working on sorting all these issues on my Boma 7 and am now looking at a Now Technologies Glory gyro headset but they don't have an interface to the Dynamic Controls DX controller I've converted to LiFeP04 batteries which are a big improvement weight and range, I'd suggest that you work on that option. Suspension travel needs to be at least 100-125mm front and rear, preferably with no camber change as it goes through travel.

Seating needs to be adaptable to allow the likes of Jay 3 backs or other custom setups. Some form of attendant steering control in case of motor failure, chain snapping.

What size/type of batteries are you using to give those speeds/range, they are very impressive in comparison to the likes of Boma 7 or Quadrix Access.

Quote Originally Posted by Outrider USA View Post
    Also, I just noticed that you're in Alberta. It turns out that Discovery Canada is going to do a piece on the Horizon on their Daily Planet show on the week of December 5th, keep your eyes peeled for it!

Cheers,
    Tommy
    Will watch! I'll record it now. The tri-pin would probably be sufficient for me then.

Hi all,

We are the UC Davis team working with Outrider to create a quadriplegic friendly modified trike where the only motion required to control the trike will be from the neck up.

This is our team with the Outrider!

We are excited to share with this community our joint effort! Before we can continue; however, we need your input!

The following questions are asking for your input on the human to machine interfaces for our trike. Our Biomedical team is working to achieve this goal and any input would be especially helpful. Please spend some time to answer the following questions below to the best of your ability!

https://goo.gl/forms/3YaeKiQkakdxzdtV2

(Note: Please answer these questions with the assumption that the trike has a max speed of 10mph and will be ridden on flat surfaces. Once again, the only mode of controlling the trike are utilizing muscles from the neck and head.)

Thanks,
    -Thomas and the UC Davis Trike Team-
    Last edited by TrikeTeam; 12-14-2016 at 06:30 PM.
    - Trike Team, UC Davis-

Hey all,

As a recap, we are the UC Davis team working with Outrider to create a quadriplegic friendly trike

Update:
    We are currently smoothing out the trike and we are excited to have it fully functional within the next couple weeks!

Here is our Outrider so far!

It is still not too late for your input! If you would like to contribute, please spend sometime and fill out the survey above.

Thanks,

-Thomas and UC Davis Trike Team-

- Trike Team, UC Davis-

Updates

Hey all,

Lots of updates and progress to share on multiple fronts!!

1. O
    ff-road high power electric handcycle is now in production after 3 years of development. (Horizon H-Series)

Our design goals for this were:
    1. Fantastic off-road capability and comfort
    2. One hand position for everything, not two sets of bars
    3. Great aesthetics

Here's a view of the Horizon H-Series from outside the cockpit:

2. Proof of concept prototype of mouth-controlled electric ATV is nearing completion (Horizon M-Series)

This Horizon M-Series project was headed by the UC Davis mechanical engineering team. They've worked closely with an individual with ALS (Greg is the man!) and have done a fantastic job. In the lab with Greg:

The UCD Development Team and me:

3. Multiple higher-level quads are successfully using our tri-pin controlled electric offroad bike (the Horizon T-series)

We now have multiple quad riders exploring on their T-Series Horizons in Canada, Ireland, and the USA.

Here's a great video of one of them (Stewart) riding in the forests of Banff:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BWbUyFJD...ken-by=midtoad

And here's a photo of Stewart in the city on his T-Series Horizon:

Please talk to us! We love to hear from members!

Tommy