Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a Cushion to use in a hot tub

I need a Cushion to use in a hot tub

Hello All!

I want to start using my condo's hot tub but I need a cushion as we all know the the seating in a hot tub is unforgiving.

What are my options?
    Never Give Up!

I'm sort of thinking a neoprene mat maybe an inch thick might do the trick? Note that gravity lessens floating in a hot tub making the seating less of a concern. Good luck with the hot tub, I know you'll love it!

Thanks Andy! I'll see if my DME has any ideas as well. Hopefully they make one.
    Never Give Up!

Do you really need a cushion in a hot tub? Really, I'm asking out of ignorance. I would totally jump in a hot tub without a cushion without a second thought. If you're in a hot tub generally you're underwater except for your head, right, so I'd think you'd be virtually weightless.

Or would I be the foolish one and come out with scrapes all over my rear end?

Quote Originally Posted by funklab View Post
    Do you really need a cushion in a hot tub? Really, I'm asking out of ignorance. I would totally jump in a hot tub without a cushion without a second thought. If you're in a hot tub generally you're underwater except for your head, right, so I'd think you'd be virtually weightless.

Or would I be the foolish one and come out with scrapes all over my rear end?
    I try to be hyper cautious about my butt / skin. My brother has a nice quality 6 person hot tub and when I visit him I find I can sit in it for long periods of time and it is pretty much as funkab suggests, close to weightlessness. a smaller tub with less powerful jets might be different though.

On a side note I am amazed at how good it feels on the muscles, relaxed spasticity, etc.

For these types of things I've gone to my local big box store or even Walmart and just get one of those pads people use for kneeling on while gardening.

The thermoplastic-urethane-based Stimulite cushions are ideal for wet environments and complete submersion in water, provided that the water temperature does not exceed 145 degrees and that no chlorine or bleach is in the water (aside from the amounts that may exist in typical city water supplies). The Silver Stimulite model - due to its lower cost and thickness compared to the other models - is a good model for hot tub use.

Have a 6 person hot tub inside master bath. When I was first injured in 2003 I never used a cushion. Just sat on fiberglass seating. Now I just fold up a king sized towel and submerge. Hang in shower to dry then.
    Have inground pool as well with several sitting areas under water. I just use the towel trick in it as well. Works perfect.
    -----------
    Eddie

Blog Entries
    Buoyancy is a huge factor, but I still opt to use a spare Stimulite when I'm in the deep tub/jacuzzi/seating area of the pool. I've been scratched a bit by tiny debris settled on to the bottom. Not to much in my personal jacuzzi master bath, but it's such an easy risk to address, why not?
    A Buddhist monk walked up to the guy working behind a hot dog cart and said, "Make me one with everything."

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus

I don't bother with a cushion because I end up floating around and struggle to stay down so there's little to no pressure on my butt. But if I were to use a cushion, I may just find a way to attach a Jay gel pack to my trunks.