Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ride Cushion or ROHO Cushion?

Ride Cushion or ROHO Cushion?

For several months I've had a very, very superficial pair of pink/red spots on my butt cheeks right on top of the "ishkies". I lift up and squirm to relieve pressure throughout the day.... though probably not often enough. I've been using a properly inflated high profile ROHO cushion for 35+ years. Recent pressure mapping showed a "hot spot" on top of the right ishkie. The PT at the seating clinic wants me to try a Ride cushion. I don't really trust these fuckers. Over the years I've dealt with so many health care "professionals" that know it all. The Ride cushion is all foam and no air like the ROHO. Anyone here ever try or use a Ride cushion? I never heard of them before. All comments welcome....good or bad. Thanks.

http://www.ridedesigns.com/java-cushion

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=...5A8E&FORM=VIRE

We issue a lot of custom Ride cushions at the SCI Center where I work. They really are great at managing unusual seating needs and unweighting completely areas like the ischium. You do need to have the custom ones made for you by someone who knows what they are doing and has had the training from the company.

(KLD)

I like the Ride cushion. It performs as advertised. Only thing I don't like about it is that it is hard to get out of. You are literally pulling yourself out of a hole. If you have arm rests on your chair, then its probably fine. But if you're using the wheels to push your body up and out of that hole, then it may or may not be a struggle depending on how much dump your chair has.

Agree with August, difficult to get out of hole. I use Ride Design Custom and love mine otherwise. It is imperative that a trained seating tech work with you on getting a good mold. The cushion may well need some carving or augmentation once it comes back.

Vancouver WA USA - - Male T4 ASIA B incomplete
    What cushion are you currently driving ?

I have a ride and a Roho hybid elite, which I alternate, one day on one then one day on the other.
    I had the roho (4+ years) then moved to the ride(1+ year).
    I was driving the ride continuously but started to get pain in my lower back and hemorrhoids.. If I sit on either cushion continuously the symptoms seem to get worse, but alternating seems to work for me right now.

The upside to the Roho is you should be able to test drive it pretty easily and see how you like it. The Ride is a done deal, no turning back once you've committed.

You can order the ride cushion with a spandex cushion cover, way better than the one that they want to send out with it.

T

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    We issue a lot of custom Ride cushions at the SCI Center where I work. They really are great at managing unusual seating needs and unweighting completely areas like the ischium. You do need to have the custom ones made for you by someone who knows what they are doing and has had the training from the company.

(KLD)
    KLD, Since there is little or no support under the ischiums, it seems with the Ride cushion that it would just stretch the skin over the ischiums and make the tissue even thinner?

Quote Originally Posted by smokey View Post
    KLD, Since there is little or no support under the ischiums, it seems with the Ride cushion that it would just stretch the skin over the ischiums and make the tissue even thinner?
    That has not been our experience, and is not something that actually occurs (tissue thinning with stretching).

(KLD)

I think it's a shame that, approaching 2017, there isn't a cushion that adjusts to the sitter's position and reduces pressure whatever that position is.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

I have the Ride custom and it the only thing that works. The vendor had to come back and tweek it but he said that is normal. My wife was afraid of what would happen when I sat on it. Her fear turned to delight. The trick is to take the load off one ares and spread it out to another. It works.

Quote Originally Posted by alan View Post
    I think it's a shame that, approaching 2017, there isn't a cushion that adjusts to the sitter's position and reduces pressure whatever that position is.
    This is what the Dolphin Fluid Immersion Technology wheelchair cushion manufacturer (Biologics) says it does, although we have not issued one. It comes in very limited sizes, is expensive, and requires a power source (so really needs to be on a power, not manual, chair).

(KLD)