Thread: social security

social security

got a letter changing to social security after dec as I will be 65 have tried calling them but that retarded 35 minute wait .

will that change my ability to get cushions wheelchair and related items?

I have my insurance taken out of my check frustrated with the system to talk to someone 35 minutes is to dam long

At age 65, you get Medicare part A at no extra cost.
    The decision to take Medicare part B at an extra cost while working will depend on the size of your employer. If your employer has less than 20 people, Medicare becomes the primary payer and you'll need to pay for part B. Your work insurance than become supplemental to pick up what Medicare A and B don't cover. This maybe explains it better than I'm doing:
    http://www.kiplinger.com/article/ret...till-work.html

I've found that most private insurance closely follows the Medicare guidelines for DME approval. A few years ago, some United Health Care plans stopped paying for urinary catheters making Medicare more advantageous for people needing these supplies.

I have no work ins I get medicare its like 104.00 taken from ssdi check then my new prescription plan goes from 50.00 a month to 00.00

Oh, sorry. I misunderstood.

Take the time to wait for your turn to ask Social Security your questions. I would advise writing them (questions) down so you do not forget anything, as well as making notes of the answers you receive. My experience has found they are quite helpful if you are patient and polite. I think you will find them very helpful, though you may be shuttled around to different people. Just be patient.

We had to call SS recently to reroute our checks. Call early in the day, I remember that part from when we first applied. Here we got an appointment time when they called back for going through the whole process. You should have the same thing.
    I have had periodic paralysis all my life. I lost my ability to walk in 2011 beginning with a spinal block, which was used for a hip fracture caused by periodic paralysis.

I was told if you are receiving SSDI when you turn 65 you stay on SSDI as long as you are still elgible (disability continues) Is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by vjls View Post
    I have no work ins I get medicare its like 104.00 taken from ssdi check then my new prescription plan goes from 50.00 a month to 00.00

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10153.pdf

"When you reach full retirement ageIf you?re receiving Social Security disability benefits,your disability benefits automatically convert to retirementbenefits, but the amount remains the same.If you also receive a reduced widow(er)?s benefit, be sureto contact Social Security when you reach full retirementage so that we can make any necessary adjustment inyour benefits.NOTE: For more information about full retirement age,ask for Retirement Benefits (Publication No. 05-10035)."

AFIK your Medicare benefits should continue as pre 65.

re Tonyy: Yep, this is what happened to me. SSDI automatically turned into regular retirement benefits, same amount as SSDI, same Medicare benefits.

While Medicare benefits are administered by the Social Security Administration, they are not the same. If you were getting SSDI, your SSDI converts to regular Social Security when you turn 65. You don't have to apply for Social Security in this case. If you also had Medicare as your primary insurance before turning 65, you do not have to re-enroll, but you may have a premium to pay for Parts B, C, or D (your state Medicaid may pay this premium if you are very low income). Everyone is required to sign up for Part A within 2 months prior to your 65th birthday. Failure to do so may generate some pretty significant fines. Those not already covered by SSDI or SSI may sign up for Social Security as early as age 62 but may find that their benefit is significantly higher if they delay this until an older age (up to age 70).

(KLD)