Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome Apparelyzed Members!

Quote Originally Posted by Megatrig View Post
    Really?? I always thought you were quite nice?!
    i rememebr you from the back pack post i came back to post a pic of my back pack on the back of the chair and couldnt post it then i realised it was shut down :/
    *Waves*

Quote Originally Posted by mrb View Post
    Rather frustratingly the site isn't available on the internet time machine. It does raise a number of questions on the ownership of content and whether a post belongs to the poster or site owner. I don't understand why he would not allow some one else to take over hosting even if it wasn't open for posting, very strange.
    Belongs to the public once you posted on a public forum. So the site owner can do what he wants with it. Unfortunatly we have to be aware of this when we post anything on the web .

Quote Originally Posted by edlee View Post
    I joined this forum at about the same time that I joined Apparylyzed. Back then, this wasn't a very easy place to join in. I found App much more accommodating and therefore chose to remain there. I guess I am a one forum kind of guy.

But now,, given the closure,, I find myself at loose ends, again. I hope that those here will forgive my initial efforts at fitting in. I can be a little off-putting to those not familiar with my many quirks. I will try to "play nice".
    ed
    I hear you. I am for sure an awkward little thing. takes me forever to feel comfortable to fit in lol i like to just sit at the side like a loner lol haha

We went through a similar situation with the sites that preceded this one (SpineWire and Cando!). When Dr. Young took on investors who were going to develop the commercial opportunities of the Cando! site, they then took over and changed the entire site, started selling products (not even disability products), and trashed the forums. He tried to get back the forums/forum content from them, and they refused. Years of discussion threads and information were lost.

(KLD)

Would have been nice to inform us of this and let people try and connect on other sites together. people on the site were friends who understood where I started out as. yes I am sure this group will eventually feel comfortable. it is just we all have been through a life changing event and coping the best we can, and now need to start over and sharing our life with new people, only to wonder now will it happen again. some people were able to keep their old name and move over, some will not.

Simon did inform the forum. Members can continue to pm, chat and read posts until December 15th and Simon also posted alternative sites. Many have migrated to another forum, using the same screen names and avatars. It's not perfect, but it's a pretty good start.

Be nice if new members started a thread to introduce themselves?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

In case our new friends from Apparelyzed haven't seen, below is the Mission of CareCure, written by founder, Dr. Wise Young.

If you are not familiar with Dr. Young, this is what he does- http://keck.rutgers.edu/

The Mission of CareCure

CareCure is an information web site. It is a place where people with spinal cord injury and related conditions can get together and discuss care, cure, and life and obtain the best and up-to-date information on these and related subjects. Over the years, we have added several other forums all aimed at facilitating communication and providing information to members.

CareCure itself does not advocate particular points of view concerning care, cure, or life with spinal cord injury. Many members of course advocate their views on these and other subjects, such as politics, religion, food, music, literature, etc. These are views of the members, not CareCure.

While advocacy movements have started within CareCure, the responsibility for these movements rests with the members and not CareCure itself. CareCure does not espouse any particular view on stem cells or other matters. I have discouraged attempts to collect money from carecure members in the same way we discourage advertising on this site.

Let me explain why I decided that the mission of CareCure is information and not advocacy. Before I founded CareCure in July 2001, I had started Spinewire, the first interactive community forum. In 1999, I agreed to allow a company called Cando to take over Spinewire in hopes of generating revenues for spinal cord injury research.

In 2001, Cando crashed along with the dot com industry. Cando took spinewire.com and cando.com into its grave. Even though I offered them $40,000 of my own money to purchase the spinewire/cando database from them, they sold the database and the remnants of Cando to some company for $200,000.

When I formed CareCure, I decided not to allow CareCure be controlled by any organization again. From 2001-2006, we hosted CareCure on a commercial servers. It was expensive and we moved CareCure to Rutgers University. It continues to function with little or no interference from any organization. At the present, I am supporting the server with my donations. We have retained our independence.

CareCure cannot itself be an advocacy site is because there is a tendency for advocates to attack and drive out people who don't agree with them. Advocates of all types are welcome here, except when they attack each other. That is why the first rule of the site is no attacks of other members. Unfortunately, many members break this rule all the time.

It also is a human tendency to want to gather your friends around you and ban people that you don't like. We do not ban people because they hold unpopular views or are disliked. Over the years, we have banned relatively few people for egregiously attacking others and only after repeated warnings and refusal to comply.

There is only one exception to this banning rule. Starting in 2007, spammers flooded our forum and many others. In order to survive, we ban spammers (i.e. people who post advertisements on our forums) on sight because they are not legitimate members of our community and are seeking to use our web site for commercial purposes.

Thus, CareCure is an interactive information site for all people in the community, not only those who hold a particular point of view about care, cure, or life with spinal cord injury. We welcome all those who want to know about any aspect of spinal cord injury, who have information that they wish to share with others, and advocates of all view points.

Wise.

He did so after he closed it. I hope someday he realizes what hurt he has caused for people who had no other support group a very poor way to treat his members. starting over is hard but I am reading here. I do wish the little sidebar blurb said what injury area they are, verses going to the full profile

ive been a member of both for awhile now, but i mainly posted on apparelyzed and joined there abit earlier than here, for some reason i only used this place now and then, ive always felt this place was more difficult to get to know people etc and seemed like alot of the people on here were not from the uk compared to apparelyzed, its probably not its just what im used to, i kind of think we are expecting it to be just like apparelyzed but its not, i just need to get used to the whole new layout etc, it would be nice if the little info thing had more.. well info on it.
    Btw i'm not complaining about anything just sharing what i think