Thread: open Question about Epidural stimulation and Spinal cord regeneration in general

open Question about Epidural stimulation and Spinal cord regeneration in general

my Mom has been in correspondance over the phone with a principle investigator for the Epidural stimulation trial for quads at UCLA and they are exchanging e-mails and everything seems to be moving along but they went on a little vacation and I am left wondering this question ...anyone have any thoughts ?

> this is what I "think" and was expecting but wanted you to call about the trial anyway
    >
    >
    > The Spinal cord has that fluid constantly running around it but I have that tissue that blocks it and they put that shunt in my Spinal cord to divert that Spinal fluid into my lung so it doesn't build up pressure and cause me those terrible headaches
    >
    > My thinking is that the shunt will exclude me from this trial or any other trial that regenerates the Spinal cord and that fluid that flows around it so I am thinking that if any trial regenerates the Spinal cord they would actually need to go into my Spinal cord and actually clear out the tissue (what was called "detethering" if you remember, remember they could have done that in miami but thought the surgery was too risky so they took the easy way out and diverted the fluid into my lung with the shunt.)
    >
    > Anyway I think that if they regenerate the Spinal cord and the Spinal flow that goes with it, it would be very bad for me because that tissue is still there and ultimately needs to be surgically taken out first.
    >
    >
    > Of course this is just what I think and makes sense to me but I could be wrong and hope I am...but I wanted you inquire about the trial anyway in case I am wrong...I have a bad feeling that the fluid flow actually needs to be restored by the riskier surgery before I can do anything
    >
    >
    >

That was an e-mail to my Mom about the question that I have
    "That's not smog! It's SMUG!! " - randy marsh, southpark

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Jim I know that it might a long shot but is there any way that you can get Wise to see this question?

"what???? , you don't 'all' wear a poop sac?.... DAMNIT BONNIE, YOU LIED TO ME ABOUT THE POOP SAC!!!! "

Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature

Epidural stimulation doesn't regenerate cord. In effect it seems to retrain the lower spine to react in predictable ways in response to surviving, minimal connectivity. Liked the inverse of brain neuroplasticity retraining of the brain after stroke.
    T3-T7 complete since Sept 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Epidural stimulation doesn't regenerate cord. In effect it seems to retrain the lower spine to react in predictable ways in response to surviving, minimal connectivity. Liked the inverse of brain neuroplasticity retraining of the brain after stroke.

But wouldn't the CSF flow be restored in any case of return require detethering first?

just thinking ahead out loud here or am I overthinking it?

Wise is out of the country.

I'm not 100% positive, but believe that when they do the surgery for the trial they also untether/remove adhesions.

Is it right that Epidural Stimulation therapy is not effective in incomplete lumbar injury patients to restore bladder bowel sexual function if patient is already walking very well without any assistance?